Chapter 8: Sir Peter Wolfsbane

Four new characters are introduced in this chapter, check the cast list to see who they're based off of!

- - -

Joanna repeated the poem Mrs. Beaver had recited to them as they approached a valley.  She was still lightheaded from her fainting episode, but also from being nervous.  If Aslan was anything the Beavers and everyone else had made him out to be, he was sure to be a sight.

Despite the fact all the animals talked and were friendly here, meeting a lion was still nerve racking.  To say the least.

The sun shone brightly and spring had turned it into a lovely day.  Joanna relished in the warmth, finally.  Shedding their heavy coats felt wonderful, and now that she was dry she felt comfortable again.  Her skirt and shirt were surely ruined beyond wearing ability again, though. 

Suddenly there was the echo of a horn throughout the valley.  Jo turned to see a centaur on the edge of a cliff, announcing their arrival.

"Oh bless it all, I feel like Queen Elizabeth," Joanna whispered as she placed a hand over her heart, which was thudding in her chest heavily.

Susan smiled, "It's wonderful, isn't it?"

"It's rather frightening, I think," Joanna responded.

They approached the camp at last, the group finally felt at ease.  They could relax just a little bit more for now.  Creatures lined the side of the road as they entered the grounds.  There were centaurs, fauns, leopards and creatures with wings.  All of the creatures stopped to watch the group walk past.

"Why are they all staring at us?" Susan whispered.

"Maybe they think you look funny." Lucy responded with a giggle.

Joanna chuckled, "You pay the price of a crowd when you're royalty, Su."

Peter smiled at their comments, but stopped upon approaching a large centaur.  The half-horse, half-man looked down to him as Peter drew his sword slowly, "We have come to see Aslan," he said slowly, unsure if this was the proper way to introduce himself.

It went silent, then.  The breeze picked up and Joanna could feel a calming presence settle over the camp.  Suddenly, the creatures surrounding them kneeled.  The centaur in front of them did as well, and for a moment the children thought it was for them.  Had they already come to know them as their Kings and Queens?

Then came Aslan.

Joanna drew in a sharp breath as the large cat strode out from the tent.  His face was calm and comforting, his brown eyes landing on the children.  His hair was golden against the sun, his mane was thick and full.  He was as kingly as any man could ever be, if not more.  Jo knew why these people looked to him so often and so highly, not only did he look like a protector, but his presence could calm them in an instant.  What more could they ask for in a King?

The oldest girl took Susan and Lucy's arms and pulled them down with her to kneel.  Peter soon followed and rested his forehead on his sword.

"Welcome, Peter, Adam's son." Aslan said with a voice as smooth as water, "Welcome Susan, Lucy, and Joanna, Daughters of Eve.  Welcome Beavers, but where is the fifth?"

Peter stood and sheathed his sword, "That's why we're here, sir,"

"We had a little trouble along the way," Susan stuttered, averting her gaze.

"He's been captured by the White Witch." Peter said with a look of anger.  The crowd whispered in worried voices then.

Beaver stepped forward, "He betrayed them, your excellence!"