Chapter 12: The King

The water was icy against her toes and Joanna let out a small gasp, retreating her foot back. It was silent in the nature around her, not a sound was made except for the quiet rushing of the water.

She slowly peeled off her nightgown and was left only in her undergarments. Slowly, she stepped back into the cool water and let the water run around her legs. Though it was cold, it was refreshing. The river did not go very deep but deep enough to where she could dunk her body underneath it.

She sucked in a deep breath and dropped below the water. Voices surrounded her and clouded her mind, but they were sweet voices. There were simple melodies hummed in her ears with heavenly sounds and deep whispers of strong men and angelic women. She could hear the voices of warriors.

When she emerged with a quick breath of air, all went silent again. She hadn't the faintest idea of who the voices belonged to but they did not scare her.

The voice that called out to her from the shore did scare her, though. She scrambled to the shore and threw her nightgown over her head. When she turned back to face the person, she saw Peter blushing furiously and looking away with his hands over his face. She cleared her throat and smoothed down the front of her dress.

He slowly looked up, "W-what are you doing in there?"

"Just washing myself off, taking a break." she shivered, wrapping her arms around her chest.

Peter smiled and looked away with a red face, "I'll be needing a break soon, I think."

"Then why not take one now?" Joanna quipped with building confidence. Peter's cheeks burned even more and he looked around, making sure no one could see them.

"Are you, um, clothed-"

"Yes Peter, I'm not one to run around battle camps stark naked."

Peter nodded his head quickly and peeled off his tunic, leaving his undershirt and pants on. He, too, gasped at how cold the water was. Joanna held her arms out to him in encouragement, "You get used to it."

Peter gingerly took her hand and she pulled him deeper into the river. The night was calm and their faces were lit by the moonlight off the water. Peter avoided Joanna's gaze as she smiled at him, her apprehension seemingly gone.

The voices of the water faded to whispers in the background.

Jo sucked in a deep breath and submerged herself beneath the crystal water once more. Peter still held onto her hand tightly and studied her from the surface. He could see the moonlight shine off her eyes when she opened them under the water and seemed to silently beckon him under as well. He squeezed his eyes shut and let the healing waters cover his body.

Her hand still held his as they lay under the water's surface, it was the only warmth he could feel. Yet the coolness of the water was refreshing and he could feel the day's work be swept away with the current.

Joanna resurfaced first and watched Peter with a small smile as he relished in the peace. When he finally came up, his eyes were sparkling and his cheeks were red from the breeze hitting them.

"Did you hear the voices?" She asked quietly as she wrung out her hair.

Peter shook his head, "I don't think I could hear anything under there,"

She began to braid her hair back, "I think they are the voices of past Narnians, they were giving me words of comfort and encouragement,"

"Like what?"

"I'm not sure exactly but I know they meant no harm."

Peter smiled at the girl and how mysterious her place in this world was. He enjoyed the part she played in the prophecy and he had a feeling she would be of great help when he was to be crowned King.