Chapter 9: Seer Of Narnia

The four sat around a small table for dinner, eating in silence. Peter was still in awe from his knighting, Joanna's head was still racing with thoughts of their kiss; Susan and Lucy were just glad it had happened. But they also sat in patience waiting for Edmund to be brought back.

Peter wanted to wring his neck, and hug him tightly at the same time.

"Do you think they've found him yet?"

Peter turned to his youngest sister and took her hand, "I'm sure he's alright,"

"But Joanna said she saw him hurt!" Lucy exclaimed with tears in her eyes. Joanna looked up from her food, barely touched, and quirked a brow at Lucy, "I overheard you saying you saw him hurt, that the White Witch had been hurting him-"

"I didn't mean to scare you, Lucy." Joanna said as she placed her hand over Lucy's and Peter's.

Susan sighed, "It's as if you never turned the radio off,"

"Oh shut up, Susan," Joanna retorted with a glare, "I can't help what I see, I can't hide it."

Susan rolled her eyes and went back to eating her food. Joanna closed her eyes and let out a sigh, collecting herself. Footsteps approached from behind them and they turned to see Aslan. He nodded to them and smiled, "I have no news of Edmund yet, but Joanna, it is time I bestowed a gift upon you."

Joanna glanced at her friends before standing to follow the Lion. He told the others to stay, "This is something Joanna must experience on her own."

Peter hadn't realized he was standing, and sat back down as he was told to do. He nodded at Joanna with a smile and she turned to leave them. It was growing darker outside, the air was chilly and made her shiver. Aslan had stopped to walk next to her, the warmth of his body giving her more chills. He lead her into his tent and sat down before her. She smiled at the sight of Talia and Bryne in the tent.

Both bowed slightly before her and then Aslan, who thanked them, "It is time that Joanna received her crown."

Bryne nodded with a smile, "I agree, your Majesty."

Aslan looked back to Joanna, who showed no emotion, "You doubt your place as seer-"

"Sir, I hardly know how to harness these powers or use them. I don't know when my visions will come and why-"

"Some questions are better left unanswered, not to be worried over and clung to."

Joanna lowered her head, "Sir, I am not worthy of this."

She kept her eyes glued to the ground, head lowered and knees shaking. Her stomach churned at the thought of having a crown given to her. Only royalty were crowned, she thought to herself. She was not royalty, this was for the Pevensies. She was just a friend that had wandered into the wardrobe with them, she wasn't even supposed to be with them.

She should be home, protecting her mother.

Do not cry.

"Crying is not a sign of weakness, dear one."

Joanna let out a sob and covered her mouth, then felt the weight of someone's hands on her head. She gasped when she saw Bryne pulling away from her, leaving the circlet on her head. She fumbled with her hair, feeling the edges of the small crown.

Aslan approached her and nudged his nose under her hand, lifting it. She let it graze over his whiskers and fall to her side, "The weight of the world and your desire to protect others gives you great humility,"

Joanna let out a shaky breath, "All I want to do is protect my friends, and my mother." She hung her head and wiped her tears.

Aslan nodded, "The one with their head already lowered is willing to give great sacrifices."