Chapter 3: A Game Of Hide and Seek

Thank you all, here is another chapter!

- - -

Dear Jo,

I hope you're not already worrying about me from receiving this letter.  I am fine! 

A group of the neighborhood women have gathered up; we decided half of us would stay in our house and half in Helen Pevensie's house.  Our corner of the neighborhood seems to have stayed relatively safe during the raids.  It's not too crowded, either, with it just being single women.

I really do hope you're enjoying the few days you've spent there, dearest.  I'll be sending you train tickets home in the next few days. 

Until then, my love, think of me and I'll be with you.

Love,

Mother

Jo sat on the floor of the bathroom, tears streaming down her face.  She let the letter fall to the floor as she stared ahead at the wall.  'How could I have let mother be alone?'

She hated herself for crying. 

While she was enjoying her time with the siblings, she missed her mother dearly.  She missed her brothers.  If only she could fight alongside them and actually make an effort.  This was an absurd idea, considering she was a woman, but she could always dream. 

Protecting her mother was her only option for fighting in in this war.  If it meant saving a life, her mother's, she would.  She will.

'Perhaps I could leave sooner.'

The sudden knock on the door startled her from her thoughts.  She scrambled to stand and wiped her tears, "Yes?"

"Oh, sorry Jo!" Lucy cried from outside the door.  Jo smiled and turned the faucet on, to make it seem like she was finishing up and stuffed the letter into her pocket.

"No, I'm sorry to keep you waiting," Jo apologized as she opened the door, smiling at the younger girl.

Lucy grinned, "It's alright.  Would you like to play some cards with me, or some sort of game?  I'm terribly bored and all Peter will do is listen to the radio."

"What about Susan?"

"She's too grown up for games,"

Jo rolled her eyes, "Lucy, you do know I'm older than her, right?" Lucy chuckled and nodded in response, "So if I'm two years older than her and willing to play games with you, she's not 'too grown up' for games!"

"I say, you're right!" She exclaimed, squeezing Jo's hand with excitement, "After I use the loo, we can play!"

Jo smiled and headed down the hall to the big library, where the kids spent most of their time.  She could hear the voice on the radio as she approached the room, Peter sat close to it. 

He turned and waved her over, "The Prime Minister's been talking for a bit, but it's all very important."

Jo hurried to the chair across from him and listened closely as Peter turned to knob up.  Winston Churchill's deep voice became clearer and all she could do was stay still.

"These cruel, wanton, indiscriminate bombings of London are, of course, a part of Hitler's invasion plans. He hopes, by killing large numbers of civilians, and women and children, that he will terrorise and cow the people of this mighty imperial city, and make them a burden and anxiety to the Governmet. . .

Little does he know the spirit of the British nation, or the tough fibre of the Londoners. . .

who have been bred to value freedom far above their lives!"