Chapter 10: The Gryphons

Thank you all for 905 views!  It's been getting some good activity lately, forgive odd spelling mistakes as I normally write these on my phone during free time!

- - -

Joanna flipped out of her hammock and scrambled for her sword on the ground.  Something was flocking around her face while she slept and startled her awake.  She untangled the sheets from her waist and took hold of the hilt of her sword.  She swung herself around with the sharp weapon and let out a cry when her sword nearly pierced the stomach of Sharpley.  The bird also let out a surprised cry and lowered himself to the ground next to her.

"Lady Joanna, forgive me, I am not the strongest of fliers!"

"How about you just call my name out next time?" she sighed, placing a hand on her forehead, "What time is it?"

"Nearly dawn, milady."

Joanna rubbed her eyes, "Has Aslan called for me again?"

Sharpley shook his head, "No, however he has informed all of camp that the youngest Son of Adam has returned."

Joanna's eyes shot up to the bird, "Edmund is back?" she cried out.

The eagle nodded, "Yes, I believe so!"

Joanna stood with her three new friends, watching as Aslan walked up one of the many hills with Edmund.  She smiled in relief to know that he had returned safely.  Her eyes travelled to the other three siblings who stood huddled together.  They watched their brother with anticipation and excitement.  Joanna was reminded of her own siblings and the letters Peter had kept from her so she turned away and headed back into the camp. 

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?" Bryne questioned as she trotted up next to her.

Jo let out a laugh, "Nothing, just thought they deserved some privacy."

"I think you need to let off some steam," Talia said as she walked on the other side of Joanna.  The girl scoffed and agreed with her. 

"Get dressed, grab your weapons and join us outside when you're ready." Bryne commanded as they approached Jo's tent. 

Sharpley flew in behind her into the tent, he tended to cleaning his feathers while she got ready.  One of the feathers fell to the ground.  Picked up by the gentle breeze flowing through the tent, it landed on the sheets Jo had left on the floor.  She picked it up and admired the golden brown tint it held.  She took hold of one of the strings on her tunic and cut off the end and tied it around the quill of the feather.  She then tied the loose end of the string around the chain of her golden whistle. 

Sharpley smiled upon seeing his feather on her necklace, "Whatever would you want to wear my feather for, milady?"

"Father Christmas told me that I have a special connection with certain creatures here in Narnia, I think I've figured out which creatures they are."

"Will you be joining me to visit the Gryphons later?" Sharpley asked with wide eyes.

Joanna nodded, "I think I'd like that."

- - -

Peter stared down his friend as she walked past the reunion of the siblings.  She did not look his way or wave to him, her eyes stayed ahead.  He looked away sheepishly and tried not to think of the cold shoulder he was receiving.  Peter was beginning to regret keeping the letters from her, he was only trying to protect her. 

Joanna followed Bryne and Talia to the practicing grounds.  There she was attended to by trainers and practice swords.  The closest she had ever been to swinging a sword was swinging the cricket bat at home.  She could barely dodge the blows from Bryne and the other trainers, resulting in many bruises and scrapes.  By the end of the hour she was so tuckered out she could hardly stand.  Bryne swung at her feet and successfully swiped her feet out from underneath her.  Jo crumbled and groaned when her head hit the soft, dew-covered ground.