Chapter 7: We Shall Have Spring Again

Joanna once again stood in a cold room, surrounded by ice. Her breath fogged in front of her face and her body shook in the cold temperature. The sounds of animals echoed all around her and she desperately searched for the source. The tiny, stone animals from the clearing began to appear at her feet. Each animal with a look of horror on their face, the sounds suddenly turning to cries for help. Tears streamed down her face because she could not help them, she didn't know how to help them.

"Do you know why you are here?"
Joanna looked up and suddenly the room went quiet. She was staring into the dark eyes of a beautiful woman. Her skin was as white as snow, her crown sitting atop her head in glory, she knew who this was.

"Because I believe in a free Narnia." a voice from behind her said, obviously tired and in pain.

She turned to see another creature on the ground behind her, staring up at her. The Witch approached her and stood next to her. She smiled evilly at the creature and chuckled darkly.

"You are here because he," she paused and threw her staff to the corner of the room, "turned you in. . ."

Joanna followed the Witch's stare and gasped at the sight of Edmund curled up in fear in the corner of a cell.

". . .For sweeties." the Witch finished with a small smile. Edmund looked away in guilt and pulled his knees to his chest. There was a bruise on his forehead and a cut on his lip, she had been hurting him.

Suddenly the Witch rounded on the creature and her hand collided with his cheek, the slap echoing around the room. Joanna gasped and took a step backwards. Immediately she turned and ran to Edmund's side, waving her hands in front of him and calling out his name.

"We're coming to find you, Edmund!" she cried out to him, desperately hoping he could hear her. He peered over his knees and looked up, the Witch stood towering over him.

"Ready my sleigh," she commanded her dwarf minion, "Edmund misses his family."

Joanna placed an arm on his shoulder and he jumped in surprise, "We will find you, Ed!"

- - -

As the group prepared to leave after a small nap, Joanna pulled Peter aside. The dream she'd had during the small sleep had shaken her to the core. She worried for Edmund and the people of Narnia, now.

"Peter, we need to stay and help these people."

"Did you see something?" he whispered, pulling her behind a tree.

She nodded, "It's Edmund, she's hit him. He's so alone, Peter,"

Peter placed a hand on her shoulder, "What else did you see?"

She gulped, "They're preparing her sleigh to go on the look for us, and I have a feeling that she'll find us if we don't get a move on now."

The older boy nodded and sighed, the frustrations getting to him, "Why the sudden urge to help Narnia?"

"The White Witch has them all under her thumb, she uses fear to keep these creatures at her command," she paused and looked away, "There was another creature there, and he said he believed in a free Narnia."

Peter stared at her, "This isn't our world-"

"Do you not see how frightened they all are of her? And how hopeful they are of Aslan?" she asked in a harsh whisper, "There's a war going on back home, too, Peter. Others have come to our aid, why should we not come to theirs?"

Peter huffed his bangs out of his eyes and looked down at her. She crossed her arms over her chest and stared back at him, her eyes staring straight through him it seemed. He knew she was right but part of him wanted to go back home and forget all of this had happened. Jo's arms slumped to her side and she hung her head, feeling stuck. There was no use in arguing with this stubborn boy, he had always been this way.