Chapter 6: The Prophecy

The beaver, who they had come to know simply as Beaver, lead them to a small dam on a frozen river. Inside it was cozy and warm, a little small for the humans, but perfect for the beavers. Immediately they were greeted by Mrs. Beaver, worried about how she looked at the moment, given such short notice of their guest's arrival.

The two animals invited them inside at once and the children were relieved to find it warm inside. Mrs. Beaver offered Lucy food, but to no avail. The girl was still quite upset over the loss of her friend.

"Is there nothing we can do about Mr. Tumnus?" Peter asked upon noticing the sullen look on Lucy's face.

"Well-" Mrs. Beaver began with hesitancy, "There's hope!" she exclaimed and placed a paw on Lucy's arm.

Mr. Beaver nodded and leaned in, "Yeah, there's a load full o' hope! Aslan is on the move!" he whispered in excitement.

"Who's Aslan?" Edmund asked from the corner by the fire.

Mr. Beaver began to laugh and clutched his belly, oblivious to the confused looks on the children's faces.

"Aslan, you silly little blighter-" he stopped upon seeing the looks on their faces, "You don't know, do you?"

Joanna let out a chuckle, "Isn't it obvious we're new?"

"We haven't actually been here very long." Peter said with a raised brow.

Beaver let out another laugh and threw his hands in the air, "He's only the King of the whole wood! The true King of Narnia," he exclaimed suddenly, "And he's waiting for you!"

Lucy frowned, "Waiting for us?"

"You got to be jokin'!" Beaver cried out in frustration.

Now Joanna was getting frustrated as well, "How do you expect us to know everything about a land we've never been to?"

Beaver settled down and sighed, "Look, Aslan's return, Tumnus' arrest! The secret police! They're all happening because of you!"

Susan glared at the animal, "You're blaming us?" she shrieked.

Mrs. Beaver shook her head and smiled, "Not blaming you, dear. Thanking you!"

The children leaned closer as Mr. Beaver began to explain the reason behind his excitement. There was a prophecy, and the children were fulfilling it. Everything was falling into place. He recited the prophecy to them with a grin, his tail patting in excitement.

"You know that doesn't really rhyme. . ." Susan mumbled.

"You're missin' the point!" Beaver cried out.

"It's long been told that two sons of Adam and two daughters of Eve will appear to defeat the White Witch and restore peace to Narnia." Mrs. Beaver interjected calmly, placing her paws on her husband's shoulders.

"And you think we're the ones?" Peter squeaked, eyes wide.

Joanna could not believe what she was hearing, it was all nonsense. She regretted running away from Mrs. Macready now. If only she had stayed and been the adult, they wouldn't be caught up in this mess. Her friends were destined to save the world of Narnia but she wanted no part.

"Well, you better be the ones! Aslan's already fitted out your army!" Beaver continued.

"I think you've made a mistake," Peter said, "We're not heroes!"

Joanna nodded her head, "We should have never run away from the Macready! This isn't our battle to fight," she said with anger, "Your prophecy isn't even complete, there's no mention of another daughter of Eve."