FOURTEEN|FLAME

My fingers trembled, the small bottle slipping from my grasp

I couldn't do it.
I couldn't.

Tears slipped down my cheeks, silent and unseen.

The bottle hit the floor with a clatter, pills scattering across the floor.

My legs buckled beneath me, the pressure was to great, I fell to the floor.

I couldn't do it, I couldn't do it anymore.

This life was too much.

***

"Amora." A voice called, closing the door behind them.

I clenched my fists, they lied. Daniel was a good man. They just didn't see it.
They didn't see that everything he did he did for a reason, that everything he had done was all for me.

I gripped the silk bed sheets tighter in my balled fists. I had been sat on my bed for hours, just thinking. I missed Daniel.

"Amora, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you like that." Jack said softly, moving to sit on the bed beside me. I did not turn to face him. "It's just you need to stay here for a while."

"Why?" My voice broke, and I sounded like a child in a rage. "Why can't I just go home?"

"Because..." He paused for a moment, debating on what to say. "I can't give you any answers right now, and trust me I know you are feeling confused but everything will be explained when the time is right. You just have to trust us, you'll be happier here."

I nodded sadly. How could I be happy without Daniel?

What if he was happier without me?
No.
He needed me just as much as I needed him.

Daniel was a cliff, and I willingly threw myself over the edge over and over again.
Not hesitating to think about the damage it was going to us both.

"Amora?" Jack called, snapping me out of my daze. "Did you hear me?"

"Yes." I mumbled. The room felt small and suffocating, even though it was neither. I just wanted to get out of there, to stretch my legs and explore.

"I need to go do something." I grumbled, pushing past the old man until I was alone and in a large hallway.

Mahogany doors lined the walls, each with a gold handle glistening under the ceiling light, just begging to be opened.