Chapter: 3

Next day, I went to the hospital. My school ended early because one of the teachers had fainted. I had called Alice to ask if I should go to our house but she said no. I decided to bring my mom lunch and after that, I was going to meet up with Seth.

The lady at the counter told me to wait while she called my mom. I was looking at the pale mint coloured walls, and smelling the chlorine odour, wafting off of the floors.

I looked at my left just in time to see my mom coming out of a room with a handsome blonde man. His features reminded me of someone.

I walked up to them. They noticed me and smiled.

"You must be Alex," that man said. "I had heard so much about you."

"And you are Dr. Cullen, right?" I asked because of his looks. I looked at his tag. It said, Dr. Cullen.

He chuckled. "Yes, I am Carlisle. I heard my kids are helping you out."

"It was so generous of them," my mom said smiling warmly at him. "Their hands are already filled with the wedding and it's just extra work."

He shook his head. "Not a problem. I am glad you took the offer."

"You're so young," I piped in. I could see the pale smooth skin, amber eyes much like his children but he looked like in his late twenties.

"Alex," my mom said in a warning tone.

Carlisle just laughed. "I get that a lot. And they are not my own. They are adopted." I nodded. He smiled looking at us. "I should go now, Ashley. It was nice to meet you, Alex."

"Same here," I said and with a smile, he walked off.

My mother turned to me. "Why are you not at school?" I explained everything to her. "Oh honey, thanks for the lunch. Please, join me," she offered. But I declined and told her I will be meeting Seth. "You are spending a lot of time with Seth," she pointed out. "Are you two dating?"

I choked on air. "What? No."

My mom laughed. "All right. Now go. Don't let the poor kid wait alone."

I said bye to her and thought about it. It was so weird for my mom to say. I mean yes we hung out for 12 days out of 16 days I had been here but he doesn't like me like that. I mean, it's just me. We had bonded well from the first day and he was indeed my first friend here excluding Jacob.

One day though, we were hanging out at this coffee shop and two girls were checking him out. I pointed out that to him.

He put a hand around my waist and said loudly, "Honey, what do you want?"

So I played along. "I want a cappuccino, sweetie."

We were being way too cheesy, but it worked. The girls had scoffed at me and left the coffee shop with their orders. As they left, we did a high-five. The barista even smiled and told us we were good actors.

Since then, whoever checked one of us out and we didn't like it, we would start acting. We both thought it was too cringey for both of us but it was fun to see others' expressions. Honey became our code to get started. But this didn't mean he liked me. We were just hanging out.

Seth and I decided we would get some sandwiches and go to the beach after we met up. Apparently, Seth knew a place where we can sit and we won't need a blanket.

It was a long slab of rock. The surface was flat and smooth.

I told him about my mom and meeting Dr. Carlisle and also about Alice and Rosalie who were doing my house.

"Don't worry about it," he said eating the last bite of his sandwich. "It's easy for them."

I frowned as I dropped the wrappers of our sandwiches in the brown paper bag and put it aside.
"What do you mean? Easy for them?" I asked. "They got extra hands or something?" I joked.

"No, that's not what I meant," he said. But there was something in his eyes. Panic? Fear? I wasn't sure. "I meant they got their family," he said. "You should see Emmett. He is really strong and tall."

I wanted to believe him. But things were already enough weird about them, so I couldn't. "Seth, what's going on? Who are they?"

He laughed nervously. "What do you mean? Who are they? They are the Cullens."

"That's not..." Before I could finish, he leaned in and kissed me.

I was surprised at first. Slowly, I kissed him back. He was warm as usual. And when I say warm, I mean he is always burning up. I asked if he had a bad fever but he said it's his natural temperature. We pulled off.

"Wow," he breathed and looked me in the eyes.

I kissed him again without saying anything because I really liked the kiss. It seemed like the best feeling in the world. Then we pulled off again and smiled at each other.

"I'm glad you did that," I said touching his hand.

"Me too," he said putting his finger under my chin.

I realized my mother was right all along.