Chapter: 17

After dinner, Jake had come to call Seth, in his wolf form. He had let a howl from the forest and Seth knew. I was all alone in the house. I had already informed my mom I came back from the Cullens. I kept thinking about the whole situation I had gotten myself into. It was partly Demetri's fault. If he hadn't stayed then Aro wouldn't have come. But I secretly wanted him to stay too. I felt guilty again. I wanted to talk to Bella but she was on her honeymoon. I wasn't going to disturb them. I groaned and saw my call log. Demetri's name was there. I texted him. I knew vampires don't sleep.

You up?
Yes. Why are you awake?
Can't sleep.
Do you want me to come over?
Where are you?
I just came back from a hunt.
Human?
No. A mountain lion.
Okay. How fast can you get here?

Ten seconds, it took ten seconds for him to come. I was waiting for a doorbell, instead, there was a tap on my window. I walked over to see he was throwing pebbles. I opened it and jumped up.

"You could've used the door," I said.

"Lots of ups and downs for you," he said. "Besides, I don't have to hide anything from you anymore."

"You went alone for the hunt?" I asked sitting down on the bed.

"Jasper went with me," he said.

"So you guys are friends now?" I asked raising my eyebrow.

"I don't really have many options," Demetri chuckled. "Carlisle is very polite and nice, but I can't call him a friend. Emmett does not like me at all. After you left, I asked one of them to assist me. Rosalie and Emmett didn't even bother to reply. Esme and Carlisle offered but then Jasper stepped up."

"Did you have fun on the trip then?"

"Animal blood isn't as good as human blood," he admitted. "But Jasper and I had a nice chat."

"Does he know you are here?"

He nodded. "He said he won't tell anyone about it unless you want to."

"Alice will know," I said and laid down on my back. "It doesn't matter. I am supposed to spend time with you anyway."

"You don't have to force yourself to do anything."

"It's not that," I said and patted beside me on the bed. He lied down. "I do want to know you. For example, I heard you are a tracker. How do you track someone?"

"With their scents. Everyone smells different."

"How do I smell?" I mumbled and looked at him.

"You smell like sea breeze," I heard him smile. "The way ground smells after a rain. Your blood smells like, I don't know how to describe it, but it's really strong and it's my favourite scent in the whole world."

"You told Aro that makes you want to protect me," I remembered.

"That is correct," he agreed.

"Tell me more. What are the vampire rules exactly?"

He told me about not letting humans know, not creating an immortal child which is practically a vampire kid. And that's because they can't be controlled so they draw too much attention. How vampires can't hunt in Volterra. The city where the Volturi Guards lives. So I asked where the humans come from and he said, tourists. I made a face at him because I seriously didn't like to hear that if I had gone to Italy, I might have died.

"And how old are you?" I asked. "Immortal right?"

He nodded. "Around five hundred years."

"Fascinating," I said.

"I don't get one thing though," he muttered. "Why is Seth your boyfriend? I mean you are my mate so it's unlikely that he imprinted on you."

"Sorry, what?" I asked.

"You don't know about their imprints?" he asked surprised. "I did not know this either because we don't exactly hand out with the shapeshifters. But Jasper and I were talking about it earlier. It's literally the shape-shifter term for a mate. I just thought you knew."

My head started to spin. When you come to know that your boyfriend is supposed to get someone else later and not you. It sucks. Then I realized it's exactly what Seth had felt in the morning although he knew he will move on, he could move on, there was a choice. Then why did he lead me on? This was why Paul was so mad. And others. They weren't mad at me. They were mad at Seth. I decided to give them a visit tomorrow.

I jumped at the cold touch.

"Sorry," he said removing his hand from my hand. "You weren't responding."

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"Hey," he said softly, making me look at him. I had seen him this close at the dance but situation had changed. I looked at his perfect pale skin which stood out in the dark. I couldn't see his features properly. So I touched his face. It was like marble- smooth and hard.

He was still looking at me. He hasn't moved at all. So I leaned in and he followed. The cold against my warm skin was something really unexplainable. And it felt great.

He moved back. "I can't do this."

"What?" I felt like he had punched me in the gut.

"I mean, I want to. It's just you are really fragile and I might end up hurting you."

"Oh," I said and lied back down.

"I'm sorry," he said leaning over me.

"I understand," which was true. "Lie down with me."

He quietly lied down beside me and wrapped his hand around my waist. He had propped himself on his hand so he was still leaning over me. He slowly leaned in and kissed on my forehead. "Get some sleep, love. Good night."

"Good night." I knew life was going to get more complicated when I go to La Push tomorrow. I tried to get a good night's sleep.