Chapter: 27

Things went crazy when Irina saw Bella, Jacob and Nessie in the woods. No one could figure out why she ran away until Alice had a vision of the Volturi coming. Carlisle figured out what happened. Irina had seen Nessie and thought she was an immortal child. 

"Why would Irina do that?" my mom asked.

"Irina's mate was Laurent and we killed him," Edward said. "He was trying to kill Bella. So she is mad."

"That's one reason," Carlisle said. "The Denali had a mother who had created an immortal child."

"But that's against the rules," I said. 

"And how do you know that?" Jacob asked.

"Demetri," I said. I had lost all emotions for him. It just didn't matter. He was just another vampire. And I had told Alice to get rid of the bracelet days ago.

"Yes. It is indeed a crime but it wasn't before," he said. "The child brought a lot of attention by clearing a whole village. So obviously the Volturi got involved and killed their mother along with the child. Since then they still feel like orphans."

I shuddered. I would've been an orphan if it wasn't for Carlisle. 

"But she is not immortal," Seth said. "Can't we just tell them that?"

"They won't listen," Jasper said. 

"So we fight," Emmett said calmly.

"The packs will fight," Jacob said.

"No," I said. "Fighting will lead to death."

"We can't run either," Emmett said. "Not with Demetri around. But we don't have to fight alone. I mean we got our other friends."

"We can't ask them for that," Carlisle said.

"We don't need them to fight with us," Emmett said and I think I knew where he was going with this. "We just need the number so that Aro will pause even for a moment."

"And that's when we show them the truth about Nessie," I said.

Emmett nodded.

"We'd need quite a show of witnesses," Rosalie said, her voice as brittle as glass.

Esme nodded in agreement as if she hadn't heard the sarcasm in Rosalie's tone. "We can ask that much of our friends. Just to witness."

"We'd do it for them," Emmett said.

"We'll have to ask them just right," Alice murmured. I looked to see her eyes were a dark void again. "They'll have to be shown very carefully."

"Shown?" Jasper asked.

Alice and Edward both looked down at Renesmee. Then Alice's eyes glazed over.

"Tanya's family," she said. "Siobhan's coven. Amun's. Some of the nomads—Garrett and Mary for certain. Maybe Alistair."

"What about Peter and Charlotte?" Jasper asked half fearfully as if he hoped the answer was no, and his old brother could be spared from the coming carnage.

"Maybe."

"The Amazons?" Carlisle asked. "Kachiri, Zafrina, and Senna?"

Alice seemed too deep into her vision to answer at first; finally, she shuddered, and her eyes flickered back to the present. She met Carlisle's gaze for the tiniest part of a second, and then looked down. "I can't see."

"What was that?" Edward asked, his whisper a demand. "That part in the jungle. Are we going to look for them?"

"I can't see," Alice repeated, not meeting his eyes. A flash of confusion crossed Edward's face. "We'll have to split up and hurry—before the snow sticks to the ground.

We have to round up whoever we can and get them here to show them." She zoned again. "Ask Eleazar. There is more to this than just an immortal child."

The silence was ominous for another long moment while Alice was in her trance. She blinked slowly when it was over, her eyes peculiarly opaque despite the fact that she was clearly in the present.

"There is so much. We have to hurry," she whispered.

"Alice?" Edward asked. "That was too fast—I didn't understand. What was—?"

"I can't see!" she exploded back at him. 

"Let it go, Edward," I said. 

Alice grabbed Jasper's hand and began pulling him toward the back door. "I'll see better away from Nessie, too. I need to go. I need to really concentrate. I need to see everything I can. I have to go. Come on, Jasper, there's no time to waste!" Alice yanked, impatient, on Jasper's hand. He followed quickly, confusion in his eyes just like Edward's. They darted out the door into the silver night.

"Hurry!" she called back to us. "You have to find them all!"

"That was so weird," Jacob said.

"Couldn't agree more," I mumbled.

We waited the whole night and they never came back.