Prolouge

©Renuja Haque, 2019

Mrs Penny was taking the attendance. Zia was absent once again. Mrs Penny called out her name, "Zia?" no answer. She called again "Zia?" looking for her in the students.

Mia tried to hide. She was fed up giving excuses for her twin sister. Mrs Penny's eyes automatically fell on her as she shook her head in annoyance.

"Mia where is your sister?" she asked Mia just like every other day. She should have known by now how Zia was like.

Although, Mia and Zia were twin sisters their personalities couldn't be more different. Zia was the wild cat, she did what she wished and faced the consequences with brave arms. Mia was the disciplined one, the liked one among the two.

"She's sick. She has fever Mrs Penny," Mia lied wishing she would let it go already. But her luck.

"How long does this fever last, Mia?" Mrs Penny asked, her hands on her hips, her head tilted to the side as she scrutinized her. She wasn't so stupid to fall for this bullshit. Mia didn't answer, looking at the floor, at the walls anywhere but at Mrs Penny.

"Your sister is lucky, Mia, your father is an Alpha or she would have been out of this school many years ago," Mrs Penny said with a serious tone. Zia would have never attended this bullshit school if it wasn't for her father. It wasn't a school, it was a cult. They taught women to be good little pets for their males. Mia was too scared to break the laws or she would have left this school as well.

Zia's wolf raced along with the newbie wolves, the teens who changed a few weeks ago. She lived for this thrill. With kids she could be herself, she could do what she wished and no would judge unlike in the pack house. The woman in the pack house was nothing less than slaves. Zia didn't want one of them.

"I defeated you suckers. Once again," Zia first bumped the air as she came to her human form and put on clothes. The little wolves caught up a few seconds later heaving to catch their breaths. She was the fastest runner of their clan. It hit her ego when the thirteen-year prepubescent boys challenged her. She had ditched school without delay and taken up a challenge. It wasn't like she wanted to attend the awful classes anyway. The only reason she was still stuck to the clan was because of her father. The tyrant Alpha who believed in male supremacy. It was a shame he had no son, only two daughters he hated.

"You boys should think before challenging the alpha female," Zia said puffing her chest proudly.

"There is no such thing as alpha female," little Sammy commented buttoning his shirt.

"You were fast," another boy said clearly impressed.

"Shut up." Little Sammy swatted him down. "Wait till the Alpha finds out his daughter skipped school again."

"You think I am scared of you, tiny prick," Zia mocked making faces at the arrogant boy. She turned and walked away not in a mood to argue with little boys. The boys were taught in the same school, no wonder they turned out to be shit heads.

When she walked back to the Packhouse a pissed off Mia was waiting for her on the gate. It couldn't have been good.

"What's up womb mate?" Zia asked raising her palm in the air for a high five.

"Give up these banters. You promised you will come to school today," Mia said looking angry.

"Promises are meant to be broken, sis," Zia tried to make light of the situation, Mia wasn't having it. She had reached the limit of tolerance.

"Zia!! I am serious. I can't lie in school for you anymore," Mia said fuming with anger.

"Alright. Alright. Calm down, sis. Look you don't have to lie. Tell them I don't want to go to school,"

"Why don't you tell them yourself," Mia shouted glaring at her. Their mom killed herself when both of were mere babies. Their father hardly ever cared about them. It was only ever them taking care of each other. If it wasn't for Mia, Zia wouldn't have been in this place for even a second.

"You think too much Mia. My going to school is not going to change anything. You are a good student and I am sure you will go to a good college, get a job and that's enough for me. I am fine the way I am," Zia waited for Mia's reply but she kept quiet. Mia shook her head in despair and went inside the house.

"Hey Zia, heard you defeated kids in a race. Ever thought of racing with a real Man," George Zia perverted cousin and her father's favourite person walked towards her, a ridiculous smile on his face.

"Who are you talking about? I don't see a man here," Zia said smirking.

"You bitch," George scowled. George was a nasty player. When they were kids he had pushed When Mia around, it was Zia who came for defence. His cynicism grew with time. It didn't help that their father preferred him over them. He father had not hidden the fact that George will become the future alpha and she must respect him at all time.

"Go fuck yourself, George," Zia dismissed him and went to her room. She could hear George cursing as she was leaving.

Her dad always wanted a boy but got twin daughters instead. Her mom wasn't her dad's mate she married him because he needed a future alpha for his clan. He lost all hope when Zia's mom died. He decided to make George, his nephew the heir.

Zia placed the headphones on her ear listening to Dj Premier's tracks on high volume, dancing to the drums. It was easier for her to disappear, pretend she was in a better place. A place where she was respected.

The music suddenly stopped. Zia opened her eyes to see her phone on Mia's hand. "What was that for?" Zia asked in irritation. Mia was standing before her bed, her hands on her hips. Already showered, hair combed to perfection smelling like roses.

When did she do all that?

"You need to study for the exam," Mia said with a serious tone.

"My god, Mia. I told you I am not going to that school," Zia said rolling her eyes, taking a pillow from her side and putting it over her head.

"Yes, you are," Mia tried to pull the pillow away.

"You are not my mother," Zia shouted.

Mia paused, Zia too.

Zia cursed inwardly. She regretted her words immediately.

"I didn't mean it," Zia added turning around and staring at her sister. When her sister got upset she looked nothing like her. Even though except for their clothing choice and hairstyle, they were a carbon copy of each other. Not that anyone would know what Zia looked like when upset. Zia hid her emotions, he buried her pain.

"You are right. I am not your mother. I do not have any right to say what you should or should not do." Mia turned around and left, it was too late to rectify the situation for Zia.

They shared the same room; their beds were placed on opposite sides of the room.

"I am sorry," Zia poppled on Mia's bed and hugged her tight. It always worked. They were too close to remain angry at each other.

"I will study. I will be a prim and proper student." Zia puffed up her chest. "Will you help me because I don't even know what the syllabus is."

Mia looked at her sister trying to keep the angry face but ended up laughing.

Read the full story on Amazon. On Kindle app.