Chapter-5

3 years later

Zia was tensed. Mia was supposed to come home an hour ago but she was still out. Zia looked at the watch again. It was almost dinner time.

It wasn't unusual for Mia to be late when she went to meet Jordan. They have been together for the last three years, Mia came late almost every time she went to meet him. However, today George was at home. Their father invited him to dinner. They were going to discuss his future take over of Rikti Pack. It did not help that George had inquired about Mia twice already both times Zia had to lie. It has never been such a close call before. Mia would be lucky if she didn’t get caught this time. Zia usually didn’t call Mia if she was with Jordan but today she had to. She closed her eyes praying to lord not to hear his voice. His voice, his sight, anything about him left Zia wolf sad and heartbroken. The knowledge that they will never have their mate even though he was right in front of them was an excruciating revelation.

"Hey," Mia answered the phone on the second ring.

"Where are you?" Zia asked impatiently.

"I am on my way back. Why? Is everything alright?"

"No, Gorge is home and he has been asking about you."

"Shit."

Yeah that's right, shit.

"I'll be home in 20 mins," Mia said and hung up.

This sneaking around with Jordan was getting old. Zia didn't know how much longer Mia would be able to hide it from their father.

After getting into college it became much easier for Mia to make excuses to meet Jordan. Zia never got to go to college, she took the work of looking anger Pack finances and it was the most boring job in the world. George had become worse, he never left an opportunity to insult Zia and make her life a living hell. Zia had a feeling George knew about Mia’s relationship status. He was a perverted bastard, even though he was their cousin his intentions with Mia weren’t brotherly. Zia gagged whenever she thought about him.

Good for Mia and Jordan they ended up going to the same college. Mia was majoring in political science and Jordan in physics.

Jordan. Zia sighed closing her eyes and looking up at the ceiling of her room. That name brought heartache in the worst possible way. In the last couple of years if there was something she was clear about then that was the fact that Jordan was definitely her mate. She would never be able to love someone else. Be happy. Or have a family.

She remembered trying to kiss one of her clan members last year.

Such a disaster it was! She ended up puking all over the poor guy. She probably shouldn’t have drunk. But kissing someone while being sober was out of question.

The year when her heat came for the first time, she had to practically sedate herself with high doses of mind numbing meds. David Nell, a friend and a werewolf physician wasn’t very supportive of her using the medicines. He knew by the intensity of her heat that she had found her mate. She wished she could tell someone what a colossal disaster she was in. If she didn’t die out of heartache she would definitely die consuming these medicines her whole life.

Mia was stopped by George on the entrance.

"Where were you?" George stood before her with his hands folded in front of him, smirking sadistically.

"I had some work."

"What kind of work?" George asked, leaning his shoulder on the wall.

"She doesn't need to tell you shit," Zia walked in glaring at him. The look he gave her was pure hatred. The feeling was mutual Zia wasn’t a great fan of him too. It took everything for Zia not to punch him in the face. George wasn’t so merciful though, on more than one occasion he put the two of them through as much pain as possible.

"Have some respect I am your future Alpha," Gorge growled pointing a finger at her.

"Respect is earned not demanded," Zia retorted looking straight at him.

"Keep your philosophy to yourself. When I become the alpha I will show you your position bitch," Gorge spat.

Zia rolled her eyes, pulled Mia away from him to their room.

Mia had gone quiet. She was deep in thought. Zia placed her hand on her shoulder and squeezed reassuringly.

"Is everything okay, sis?" Zia asked.

Mia looked up realization of the situation drawn to her. "I need to leave Rikti Pack. I need to move in with Jordan to Yoda Pack. This is getting too much, Zia.".

"You are kidding right?" Zia looked at her sister shocked. As if she was seeing her for the first time.

"No, I am not. I need to leave this hell hole." Mia turned to look beyond her window with glazed eyes. It had always been Zia’s dream to leave the place, Mia was the one who wanted to stay here and serve the Pack. She was the one who always taught Zia to be prim and proper for the Pack, to spend her life for the duty of Pack. What happened to all that? HOw could her sister become so selfish? How could she think about leaving her and starting her own life? Did she forgot how badly Zia wanted out too?

Zia kept quite swallowing the knot in her throat. She could see her sister drift away. To make dreams that didn’t include her.

Mia called Jordan immediately.

“Baby,” she greeted. Zia was fed up by this side of her sister. She had seen her sister drastically change in the last few years. Her whole life was surrounded by Jordan.

“I have planned to move in with you like you wanted me to,” Mia said clutching the phone in her ear and baby-talking with her boyfriend.

Zia looked astounded as her sister planned out her grand escape. She was going to leave Rikti Pack on Sunday. Zia felt tears fall down her cheeks as she realised how less she meant to her sister.

Zia might have acted tough from outside but inside she was weak, lonely. Mia was everything she had and if she left her Zia would be all alone in this Pack where no one loved her.Maybe, is this is what happens when you find your mate. You forget everyone in your life?

Mia looked at Zia with surprise as if realizing she was present in the room as well.

She walked up to Zia and took her chin. "One day you will find your own mate and then you will be able to escape the hell hole too," Mia said hugging Zia tight.

Zia hugged her sister back knowing full well that will never happen and sobbed silently. The gods had played a cruel game with her.