03

⋮chapter three: pretending.

KHLOÉ HAD IMAGINED THIS moment for most of her high school life, but nothing she had ever envisioned could prepare her for the staggering amount of power that was thrust onto her in less than twenty-four hours.

Suddenly, it was her making Tuesday-morning speeches to Kingston High, it was her being followed around by the golden circle, and it was her that everyone turned to when they needed direction. It was like Khloé was personally puppeteering all of the one-thousand-five-hundred-and-twenty-three students roaming the halls.

"You'd think they'd take a bit of time to, like, grieve, don't you think?" Khloé's best friend, Elysha King, muttered under her breath having just witnessed a group of giggling thirteen-year-olds ask for Khloé's autograph.

Khloé blew out a breath and adjusted her shoulder bag, straining underneath its weight. "Yeah, well, obviously Jacob had less influence than everyone thought," she clipped. There was no need to pretend around Elysha ─ she knew Khloé almost as well as Khloé knew herself. In fact, the best friend herself had assisted with the de-crowning herself, and she did it with the most happiness Khloé had ever seen from her.

"Or maybe no one ever cared at all."

Elysha's comment was one that the Queen had never even thought of before, and Khloé frowned as the new thought sunk into her brain. "But everyone in Kingston adores the golden circle. You see how they admire us; you see how much power we have other them. How could they not have liked dear King Jacob?"

Elysha just gave her a look. "But aren't you pretending too?"