11

⋮chapter eleven: goodbye.

     THEY HAD DONE IT. Fourteen years in Kingston High, and Khloé had made it through: hierarchy, Elysha and all. Khloé stood proudly on the stage, waiting for her name to be called. She, as Kingston's Queen, would be called last to make her final speech and Khloé felt slightly nervous.

"Liam Jameson."

Khloé clapped loudly as her friend made his way across the stage. He accepted his scroll and shot a beaming smile out to the audience. Most likely to his parents, Khloé figured, even though she thought she saw a few younger teenagers swoon.

"Elysha King."

A moment of silence passed. Khloé blew out a soft breath as the principle of Kingston said a few words about her best friend. Elysha would've been valedictorian ─ a victory that seemed to surprise many of the students on stage. Khloé could only think how silly everyone was, just to judge solely people on their looks or social status.

The last of the graduates trickled across the stage, including Jacob who accepted his scroll with an eye-roll and smirk, until it was only Khloé standing there.

"And now, here's your Queen, Khloé Cappelli!"

Khloé smiled at the middle-aged man as he moved out the way. She stepped forward to the microphone and took a deep breath. "Hello, parents, teachers and students. My name is Khloé, although I'm sure many of you already know that," she let out a light laugh: everyone knew who she was. "Being Queen of Kingston High for the past year was quite the experience. Now, I won't lie to you: the power I had over everyone else was astounding and I loved it. So much so that I failed to notice one of my closest friends, Elysha King, slip away. I didn't notice how quiet she'd gotten, or how lifeless her smiles had become. I bet most of you wouldn't even know how smart Elysha was, but her grades started to slip too. I didn't notice any of these things, and I guess you could call me a pretty shitty friend. The pressure I had on myself to keep up with the Kingston's hierarchy was slowly pulling me down, and it was also hurting Elysha too. I will forever be sorry to her for not noticing the signs. You should all be sorry too. I think the biggest lesson we can all learn is that life is short and we don't have time to judge people on the type of clothes they wear or the amount of money in their bank account or the social status they have. That is not important. What is important is friendship. Without my friends, I don't know what or who I'd be. Without them, I'd be nothing. They treat me like the normal, average girl that I am, and for that I will be forever grateful. This past month has been a big turning point for me personally, and I hope everyone else can also start to treat others how they want to be treated. I know I will. Thank you."

Khloe blinked back the sudden tears in her eyes and stepped away from the microphone. The crowd stayed eerily silent as they watched her retreating figure. For a moment, she felt her speech went horribly wrong and a panicky ache filled her chest.

But slowly, surely, the clapping started until suddenly everyone was on their feet, giving their departing Queen a standing ovation.

It was a bitter-sweet moment ─ Khloé had lost a dear friend, but she had also gained something else. Respect. Respect to allow others to show Khloé who they were, and not who she thought they were based off appearances or impressions; respect to Liam and Jacob for sticking by her side; respect to Elysha for everything she'd taught Khloé.

And respect for herself for overthrowing her infamous title, the Queen of Kingston, as well as the golden circle.