06

⋮chapter six: forgetting.

     ELYSHA AND KHLOÉ MADE their way through the pulsing crush of limbs and alcohol, aiming for the bar. What Khloé needed was a break ─ and sleep wasn't going to cut it. That day's speech on bullying had taken a lot of time to prepare, and Khloé was exhausted from so much thinking.

She shouted at the bartender for a round of shots and quickly took the clear liquid before anyone could swipe some for themselves. Liam had certainly gone all out for his party; the whole of Kingston's upper-school, a bar, a dance floor, several tables of assorted finger foods, even a DJ with booming speakers and an equally loud playlist were there.

As Elysha and Khloé threw back their first shots, the DJ called for a danceoff. "Oh God," Khloé rolled her eyes. "Don't they remember what happened last time?"

Elysha giggled and the pair eyed off the four guys ripping off their shirts. They certainly hadn't forgotten how it had ended, banana peels and all. Make It Trashy by an artist Khloé couldn't remember started blasting from the speakers and everyone went wild.

Quickly, the shots disappeared, and as did another round, and another, until twelve o'clock came around and Khloé was hammered. Elysha had left with some guy a while ago and Khloé had made her way onto the dance floor. She enjoyed the way her head felt light, and how her body didn't feel weighed down anymore.

Alcohol was good for forgetting. Not just for Khloé, but for everyone around her who, just for one night, forgot she was Queen and let her be a normal girl for the first time in years.