08

⋮chapter eight: helpless.

     FINALLY IT WAS THE weekend. Khloé was stretched across her black and gold bedspread comfortably watching Netflix on her laptop. She'd finished all assignments that Kingston's evil teachers had thrown at her, prepared two week's worth of speeches and caught up on everyone's Instagrams.

Not that she found pictures of pets, food and relationships very fascinating, but it was basically her job to double-click and approve everything that went on in Kingston, including on social media.

Then her phone rang and destroyed the peace.

"Hello?"

"Hi, is this Khloé Cappelli?"

"Uh, yes, who's asking?"

"My name is Doctor Sawyer. I'm sorry to inform you that Elysha King has just been admitted to hospital. I believe she's your friend?"

The breath hitched in Khloé's throat and for a few moments she was incapable of breathing. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "Did you just say hospital?"

"I'm sorry. There was an accident. You might want to come quick, we're not sure if Miss King is going to make it.

     THE WHITE HALLWAYS SEEMED to stretch on for ever and ever. Khloé was running desperately, her Nike shoes slapping against the cold, hard tile. Her eyes were wide and focusing solely on the numbers scrawled on plaques.

"214, 214, 214," Khloé muttered, willing herself not to forget.

At last, those three numbers came into view and Khloé burst through the pale door. She was not ready for the sight in front of her. The room was wide and filled with natural light from a big window. There were four chair tucked into the corner, next to a bed stand, which was next to a machine, that was next to a bed, that was supporting... Oh God.

Elysha King was almost unrecognisable. Her beautiful face was now dotted with scratches and bruises, and her limbs were either in casts or hidden by the staggering amount of tubes going into and around her fragile body. Khloé stopped dead. Her best friend, the girl she'd told her closest secrets to, the only person who truly knew her, was on the verge of death, and Khloé knew no amount of power could fix this.

For the first time in her life, the Queen felt helpless.

The Golden Circleजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें