Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Gracie Sparks was eating breakfast. Today was her first day of school. Vivian Sparks joined her in the kitchen. She started making coffee for her husband, Kendall. Kendall entered the kitchen a few minutes later.

"Good morning." He kissed his daughter's head and hugged his wife.

"Morning." Vivian smiled. She handed Kendall a mug of coffee. They sat at the table to eat breakfast.

"Do I have to go to school?" Gracie asked. 

"Why don't you want to go to school?" Vivian turned to her.

"I'm different from everyone else." Gracie replied.

"That is why you are special." Kendall smiled. Gracie shrugged and grabbed her backpack. She got ready for school.

After Kendall and Vivian dropped off Gracie, they went home to prepare for work. Vivian, following in her mother's footsteps, had a job at the bank. Kendall taught a class of half-vampires, who didn't want to become become full, how to make being half work. The phone rang. Vivian answered it. 

"Hello." 

"Mrs. Sparks, this is St. James's elementary school. Your daughter wants to speak with you." A female voice told her.

"Okay, give her the phone." Vivian replied. 

A few seconds later. "Mommy, I want to come home."

"Grace, I'd bring you home if I could, but I can't." 

"I don't like it here." Gracie whined.

"I know, but you have to stay." Vivian paused. "Tell you what, you stay the whole day and we'll have chocolate chip pancakes for dinner." 

"Deal. See you later." Gracie hung up.

Kendall entered the room. "Who was that?"

"Gracie. She isn't adjusting to school very well." Vivian sighed.

"How did you convince her too stay?" Kendall asked.

"I said that we would have chocolate chip pancakes for supper." Vivian responded.

"Like mother, like daughter." Kendall chuckled. He hugged Vivian.

"I really hope she starts to like it." Vivian mused.

"I'm sure she will." Kendall kissed her and left for work.

Gracie Sparks sat in her desk. She didn't like school. The other classmates stayed away from her, as if they knew that she was different. Then a small girl approached her. She had curly blonde hair that wrapped around her heart-shaped face.

"Hello. I'm Daisy." Daisy stuck out her hand.

"I'm Gracie." Gracie shook her hand. Daisy's dark green eyes examined her. Taking in her long, straight, brown hair  to her huge, blue eyes. Daisy sat next to Gracie. The two girls started talking and began to be friends. What Gracie didn't know was that Daisy was more like her than she knew.