Chapter 26

Natasha

Sarah looks between us sheepishly. I sit there kind of shell shocked my best friend gave my number out to Damon.

"What the hell?!" Is all I can manage in the situation.

Sarah looks over nervously.

"Don't be mad Tasha. He was a real gentleman at the club I met him in. Definitely didn't have a player way about him but he's just not my type."

I gape at her, like that's justified it at all.

"So why give my number? You could have nicely shut him down." I say trying to comprehend all this.

"Well... yes, I could have but I thought he seemed like a good guy and you'd been drifting away from him at that point, so I thought maybe you two would get cozy... Worst case you never spoke again anyway." She tells me like her logic has total sense to it.

"So, let me get this straight... You gave my number to a guy you guessed was a good guy becausemy relationship was drifting apart... and what, you hoped he'd be the replacement?!" I feel shocked beyond comprehension at thia point.

"No... not replacement. But perhaps you'd see what you deserve." She whispers to me.

Damon decides to pipe in at this point.

"Why not say anything earlier?"

"I figured things were going smoothly, so no point putting doubt into it." She confesses.

"He's a nice guy hun. He was nothing but genuinely nice when I met him. Even with your friendship, he's openly stated he didn't like him but still made effort to check you were ok and kept you virtual company most nights. Hell, he finds out what happened and he was at Brians in no time. I didn't have an end game the day we met, but looking at you both... I'm glad I did it, even if you don't want my friendship now." She whispers at the end.

"I don't even know what to think... can you guys give us a minute to talk?" I ask Sarah and Brian.

They nod before leaving us alone again. After agonizing silence I decide to just talk.

"I'm sorry for all of this... If she just kept her nose out at times, none of this would have happen..." I tell him, looking at my hands.

"You really think knowing all this changes anything between us?" He asks as he slowly approaches me.

"I've loved talking to you for the last few months. I'm over the moon that I'm actually here with you. Who gave me your number changes nothing. Does it for you?" He says seriously.

"Well..." I trail off and he stiffens a bit. "Nah, but you are a lot less mysterious now." I chuckle at him.

"That's ok. As long as you don't mind."