Chapter Fifty Six - Final Chapter

"Tristan..." Nagising ako sa impit na ungol ni Andi. I opened my eyes and saw her writhing in pain next to me. Agad nawala ang antok ko at napaupo ako sa mula pagkakahiga. 

"Is it time?" I asked her as I wiped the beaded sweat from her forehead. I could see the agony on her face and I tried hard not to freak out.

"I- I think so." She said in a shaky voice, gripping on my wrist and squeezing it as if she was trying to stop the pain. "Ang sakit, Tristan. It hurts so bad."

She was already on her ninth month and when we went for a check up last week the doctor said she was ready to give birth anytime soon. Now was the time. My heart was pounding so loud that I could almost feel it jumping out of my chest. I didn't know what to do to comfort her. Hindi ko alam kung paano ko pahihintuin ang sakit. Kung pwede nga lang ako na ang sumalo nun.

I tried to calm myself down and got up from bed. We already packed the things we needed for the hospital weeks ago. Kinuha ko ang bag kung saan nakalagay ang mga gamit ng baby at mga damit ni Andi at sinabit sa katawan ko.

"Kaya mo bang tumayo?" I asked her.

She nodded. "Yeah... It just hurts so bad. I just want it to stop." She said in a wince. I hate seeing her in pain like this, if there's only something I could do to take it away. Andi carefully rolled to the side of the bed and sat up. Hinawakan ko siya at inalalayan sa pagtayo. I wrapped my arm around her waist and held her wrist in the other hand as I guided her downstairs. She looked at me and I smiled hoping it would hide the turmoil and panic I was feeling inside.

Maingat ko siyang inupo sa passenger's seat at sinuotan ng seatbelt. Then I hurridly ran to the driver's seat. I was so excited but at the same time I was scared, worried, panicking. I had no idea how to handle things like this.

"Masakit pa ba?" Kinuha ko ang isang kamay niya habang nagmamaneho ako. I just held and stroked it, wishing it would ease the pain she was feeling. 

She just nodded as an answer. I didn't let go of her hand hanggang makarating kami sa ospital, that was the least I could do for knocking her up and putting her through this kind of pain. Agad na may sumalubong na nurse sa amin pagpasok namin sa ER. Namumutla na si Andi sa sakit ng makarating kami doon. They made her lie on the bed and the doctor checked her.

"The patient is in active labor. Eight centimeters dilated." Sabi ng doktor. The doctor told me it wouldn't take long before she gives birth. I already wanted it to end. Nahihirapan akong makitang nahihirapan siya. It was almost like I could feel her pain.

"You'll be fine. It's going to be ok." Bulong ko sa kanya habang hawak ko ang kamay niya at hinahalik-halikan ko siya. I did my best to stay calm and try to comfort her.

She smiled faintly at me. "I'm so excited to see him."

"Ako din." I smiled back at her and kissed her on the forehead. I stroked her hair as I whispered things to her. Anthing to get her mind off the pain. We waited and waited until she was finally ready to give birth. At that moment I never wanted to get her pregnant again even though we were planning to have two children. If it means she'd have to go through this pain again then I think I'd pass.