Fourteen

Everything was plain confusing. School started soon, and that would add to it all. Plus, I didn't even know where I would be going to school. I went my whole life in a crowded public school. But Myrcella and Dave insisted that I would still be there, and wanted me to go to a private school nearby. I would never fit in there. Not that I fit in, anyways.

I was sitting at the table in the kitchen of Dave's house, boredly drinking a cup of water, and debating whether or not I should go outside and walk somewhere.

That's when somebody knocked on the door.

Dave and Myrcella had gone to Walmart together, so it could be them. But  I knew better. This is their house. Why would they knock on their own door?

I stood up, and rushed to the doorway, pulling a chair behind me, so I could peek in through the windows lining the top of the door. The knocking continued. An irritable, loud knocking . I pushed the chair up to the door, and steadying myself with one hand on the counter, stood on the chair. I stood on my tiptoeds, and peered out, to see Michael.

Over excitedly, I pushed away the chair and opened the door. That was when I reminded myself to not look so happy. He's a dick.

"Macey?"

"Who else would it be?" I grimace.

"Your right." He pushes past me. "Why the chair?"

"I'm short and couldn't see who was at the door. What do you want?"

He pushes himself up on the counter, scootching back, his butt making squeaking noises on the clean tile. He pushes back his hair, ruffling the feather-like chocolate colored hair, and smiles at me.

"To apologize and hopefully win your heart by taking you somewhere. I don't know yet. But it will be worth it." He jumps back down, inching closer to me. His eyes look hopeful, but theres something else there. Sadness? I didn't know.

"What happened the other day?" I didn't answer him, but instead asked a question of my own.

"Nothing really. I was just angry. With my dad."

"That doesnt mean you can just be a jerk! Tha-"

"Macey, we all have issues with our parents. At least I didn't shave off my hair."

After saying it, he instantly looks sorry. I walked backwards slowly, trying to play it off as no big deal.

"It was a stupid decision, alright? Don't bring it up. Sorry." I opened the fridge door, looking around for god-knows-what, and peekd at Michael from the corner of my eyes. He was looking at me. Waiting for an asnwer. Finding nothing , I let out a loud sigh, and turned back to him.

"So where are we going?'

-

-

-

I pulled a beanie over my head, and tightened my hoodie. It was summer, but didn't feel so much like it. It was almost the end of July. Fall was coming soon. The wind blew into my face, stinging my cheeks, and eyes. Michael chuckled beside of me, in the drivers seat, but didn't question why I was sticking my head out the window. I didn't know myself.

I didn't even know where we were going. Apparantly Michael didn't either. He drove around aimlessly, until he parked at a park. He jumped out, as did I. We walked beside eachother for a few minutes until he seemed satisfied with a spot, and plopped down on the grass. I sat beside him, and asked what we were doing.

"Getting pizza." He answers, and pulls out his phone. "They deliver."

"Do they deliver to where we are at though?"

"Let's find out."

After ordering the pizza, one meduim cheese pizza, he layed down, pulling me down beside him. I was startled, but went along with it.

"So whats happening with your mom?" He asks me, turning his head until he was looking me right in the eyes. He itched his nose, and then scootched closer a tiny bit.

"I don't really know yet. I visited her. She looks fine. It's weird. She looks happier to be there than she ever did with me."

His face softens, and he mumbles a 'sorry', when there was nothing to be sorry about "My dad is that way. He doesn't like me very ,much. I don't like him either. The only reason I'm here, is because my mom didn't really want me at her house either."

Now it was my turn to feel bad. How was it that I always felt sad for other people, but didn't want it myself? It was basically being a hypocrite.

"I work for him though. He hates to admit it, but his buisiness would be struggling without me. It already is. he doesn't really have enough help. Just me and him."

Just me and him.

The words reminded me of what my mom said, for awhile.

"It's just me and you now, macey." She would whisper to me at night, stroking my hair. That was before she went crazy. not exactly crazy. But not the mom I knew.

"How can you be so happy?" The words came tumbling out of my mouth, sounding more and more stupid when I thought about it.

"Nobody really cares if your sad. So you may as well be happy."

That's when the pizza came.