Thirty One

9:41

   I cringed as the bright building came into my view, still as bright as ever. I hadn't come here in a few months, since I quit my job here, and it still looked the same. 

The truck was parked, and Michael stared at me expectantly, one of this hands gripping onto the car door handle.

"Of course you would take me here." 

He stifles his laughter, but quickly becomes serious, as he opens the door.

"This is supposed to be a goodbye, Macey. One last time before you are gone to college. One last memorable night."

And then, he disappears to open my door as I ponder over his statement. I didn't exactly understood what he meant by one last memorable night. We would still see each other, right?  That didn't really make sense.

When he opened the door, he stood in front of me, his face faintly illuminated by the dim lights of the ice cream place as he blinked slowly.

"Come on, then." He intertwines his long fingers in mine, and starts running. I felt a sudden wave of cliche nostalgia wash over me, as the two of us run through the crowded parking lot, glancing at each other every few steps happily. It was like those movies teenage girls loved to watch so much, when the couple runs through a parking lot, gazing into each others eyes lovingly, the sun only just setting. More or less so.

Inside, was extremely crowded. I hadn't thought it would be too bad, as tonight was prom night. I was wrong.

Michael and I seemed to be the only actual teenage couple in there, though. I could feel the stares from families burning into my back as we stood in line. Once again, I felt overdressed. I had to keep reminding could this was my night, and not to think about what other people thought. As if reading my mind, or just thinking I needed reassurement, he gives my hand a gentle squeeze.

We were at the front of the line now, where I looked up from the cases of ice cream to come face to face with Daniel.

"Daniel! Hi!" I try to sound cheery, but grabbed Michaels hand even tighter.

"Macey." He sounds oddly cold, rolling his dark eyes. "I thought you said he wasn't your boyfriend?"

Michael shifts uncomfortably beside me, as I try desperately to find something that sounded smart.

"Yeah?" I furrow my eyebrows. "Well... He is now."

As if wanting to prove that, Michael pulls me closer, his arms now around my waist, and his lips near my ear, as he plants a kiss on my neck. My face burns, but I smile, complying to it.

This is like freaking porn.

"Michael... Not now." I laugh, inching out of his grip. I sounded like a typical teenage girl. I wasn't sure how I felt about that. Michael seemed oddly possessive right now, as if trying to prove to Daniel we were dating, or something.

"Just tell me what you guys want." Daniel says irritedly. Why was he being such a... Dick?

We both give him our orders, mint chocolate chip for me, and chocolate for Michael.

We were never so happy to get out of that place.  It was just so... Awkward. But after, we seated ourselfs at the round tables outside, to eat the ice cream (which Michael payed for).

"I just figured," Michael starts, taking a bite of his ice cream and pausing to smile. "That tonight would just be so much better if you wore a dress. Like that's sort of stupid, but I wanted tonight to just be great. Plus you look really nice."