Nineteen

The rest of the summer went by as Michael and I acted like a couple, even though we weren't exactly sure what we were. We avoided the conversation we had that one night, and everything was at peace.

I dreaded the first day at my new school, wanting nothing more than to go to the over crowded Jackson High, but not everybody gets gets they want. So on September Fourth, I dressed in a presentable outfit, and started the treck to the school, which Dave had shown me how to get there yesterday. It was an oddly nice day. Ironic, seeing as I felt the complete opposite.

  I couldn't help rolling my eyes once hearing the familiar sound of Mayday Parade, and wheeled around to see Michael in his old truck.

"Need a ride?" He smirks. It was typical. Hot guys always just so happen to try and pick you up. And they smirk a lot. And Michael is definitely hot.

"How did you guess?" I throw my bookbag in between us, and crawl into the high seat.

"Just smart." He replies, starting the bumpy ride down the pothole filled street.

"You? Smart?" I laugh, teasing. This was typical banter between us, maybe as if trying to forget the earlier events between us. Michael completely avoided the subject of him and his dad, always changing the subject craftily. But I knew what he was doing.

I knew once I got to the school I would be alone though. This wasn't going to be one of those drama filled stories where a messed up girl starts at a new school, and is not the social pariah! In fact, the girl is popular, and loved!

But that's not my case. Sadly.

Michael pulled into a parking spot behind the tall, red chalky building. I held in a shaky sigh. I wasn't ready for this.

"Macey?" Michael notices my sudden silence.

"Yeah?"

"You can do this." He opens his door abruptly,and smiles. I stare at the students milling around, my stomach turning.

He waits for me to get out, and once doing so, grabs my sweaty hand reassuringly.

I adjust my bag on my shoulder, the canvas straps digging into my arm by the weight of the books.

The front of the school had a large circle of grass, one strip of concrete on each side, and one in the middle, all leading up to the front steps.

I noticed all the other kids running on the outer strips of sidewalk into the school. Didn't they know its easier to go straight instead of around?

I got my answer when a sudden set of sprinklers starts, spritzing Michael and I with freezing water, missing the outer concrete, and only hitting the middle. A squeal escaped my lips, Michael laughing in response, and we started running, him pulling me forward. Michael stops suddenly, to place a peck on my forehead, and held his navy binder over my head, probably an attempt to keep the water off my head.

By the time we got to the steps, my skinny jeans were clinging to my legs, and my hoodie soaked. I was just thankful I didn't wear a white shirt.

"I completely forgot about those sprinklers." He sighs. "Alright so, you got your schedule in the mail right? What's your homeroom?"

"Mr. Kodish. How about you?"

"Ugh," he pulls me by my hand, down the airy hallways. "Mrs. Barnes. We have the same lunch though. I'll introduce you to some people. Let me see your schedule."

We exchanged schedules, and he noted we shared last period.

The bell rings.

"I have to go. Mrs. Barnes is a bitch. I'll see you at lunch. I'll wait for you by the doors." He let's go of my hand, and I could feel an immediate loneliness wash over me as he left.

Time to find my locker.

I was already late.

After a minute of looking at the numbers on the lockers, I found the right hallway, searching for licker 527. There was only one other girl in the hallway, a short girl with her dark hair tossed into one of those careless topknots I wished I knew how to do, dressed carelessly in gray sweatpants and a loose white shirt.

523... 524... 525... 526...

I stopped at the locker the girl was at. Locker 527. She was struggling with the lock. No wonder. It's not hers.

"Um... Sorry but that's my locker." I poked her shoulder, and she whisks around to face me.

"What? Locker 526? This is mine!"

"That's locker 527."

"Oh. My bad!" She giggles, moving over to her locker, which she unlocks effortlessly. "No wonder it wasn't opening!"

I opened my locker, depositing setting my bag in, and after locking it I realized I may need it. Oh well.

The girl copies my movements, a slight bounce in her steps.

"So..." She starts walking alongside me, and I shrug off how annoyed I felt.  "Homeroom?"

"Mr. Kodish."

"Oh my gosh! Me too! I'm Olivia, by the way!"

"I'm Macey."

"Like the store Macy's? I love your hair by the way. Very edgy. I hear that's in."

"I shaved it off because I wanted to piss my dad off." I replied, rolling my eyes.

She continued talking all the way to homeroom, but oddly I didn't mind.  I need some noise.

She pushed open the homeroom door open, to reveal a large classroom. Instead of desks, matts were layed out in a circle, and kids sat on each matt.

"Olivia! And you must be-" I interrupt the man sitting cross legged on a mat.

"Macey." I instantly felt self conscious, feeling all the stares on me, and I pulled up my hood, hiding my massacred hair.

"Have a seat you two. We were just meditating. I'm Mr. Kodish. But you can call me Bob. That's not really my name, but I believe everybody has a choice in life, and I choose to call myself Bob."

Oh.

I sat on a rainbow mat, sandwiched between Olivia and a dude with blonde hair, styled upwards.

"Why don't we all introduce ourselves, and say a few things about ourselves?"

"You know most of us, Bob." A girl across the room giggles.

Everybody started the introductions though, the guy beside me introducing himself as Luke. Then it was my turn.

"Uh..." More stares. "I'm Macey. I live with my Dad and maybe-stepmom-"

"What's up with your hair?" Somebody interrupts.

"I shaved it off."

Silence.

This was going to be a long day.

-
-

woW an update!

so I write another Michael fanfic called "New York" and it doesn't have a lot of reads so if anybody checks that out and gives their opinion, I'll check out one of your stories ? :-) and dedicate a chapter of this// or new york ((whatever u want dude)) to you

goodbye friends I am gone