Seventeen

*so many typos i'm sorry I wrote this on my phone fuck off btw pls read the authors note at the end well anyways goodbye friends

We flip through the clearance racks at Kohl's , Me wanting a new sweater, and Myrcella looking for an off season dress. Myrcella is at a rack opposite of me, her hands already full of items she liked ; A coral sundress, a shiny jacket, a black glittering dress. I on the other hand, hadn't found anything I liked. Yet. She kept urging me to get whatever I wanted, but I hadn't found anything I wanted.

We scanned through the racks slowly, and silently, whilst a Katy Perry song played in the background. Myrcella kept saying things like "I love this color!" or "This fabric is gorgeous!", and I resisted the urge to burst out laughing. It was ridiculous.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom, ok?" I grow bored, and desperate to get away, I tell Myrcella that.

"I can go with you!"

Um no. "Don't bother!" I say in a cheery tone. I walk briskly to the front of the store, looking for a bathroom, and seeing the revolving doors open. Michael runs in, his hands holding a few sheets of paper, in a hurry.

"Michael?" I step closer to him, laying a hand on his arm.

"Macey. I'm so sorry, but I have to go. I'm in a hurry. It's for my dad." He looks alarmed, stepping back slowly. I don't  know what to say. I'm actually angry, and can't fight back what i'm going to say.

"I don't understand you Michael. One minute your kissing me, the next running away. I jus-"

"Macey you don't understand." He starts running, calling over his shoulder, "I'm sorry! I promise I will stop by the ice cream place tonight! I promise!" I watch him running, until he's turned a corner and gone. Unreachable. Just like he is. I shook my head, unable to figure out what just happened.

I spend the rest of the day with Myrcella, finally finding a sweater I liked (Super soft, and a light gray color) , and due to her, picking out decorations for my "room" that I knew I would never put up. Sometimes you just have to humor people.

"I love these!" Myrcella and I are loading the shopping bags into the back of her car, and she pulls a box of Christmas lights out of a bag. "I mean, they're Christmas lights, on clearance. For three dollars! They are adorable! We can make your room look nice tonight." I didn't dare point out they were so cheap because Christmas was seven months ago.

I buckle my seatbelt, sighing. "I have work tonight." She starts the car, and I unroll the window, once, again. She looks annoyed. "You know what we said about you working." I fight back an "I don't care."

"Okay?"

She has to stop at a light, taking the opportunity to look at me, and continue our conversation.

"Well Macey, we don't want you to have to go to work all the time. We have enough money to manage. We want you to concentrate on school. Its never too late to apply to a college."

I stare at her, once again, in shock. This conversation, again. She can say it however many times she wants to. I don't care. I still didn't really didn't think it was up to her. If I wanted to work, I would.

"College... Isn't for me." I manage. I didn't really see a point in college. Just more useless schooling that really wouldn't get you anywhere. "And I've told you before. I like working, and frankly I don't care." Myrcella looks at me silently, annoyed. And she stayed silent during the car ride, leaving me to look out the window at the passing greenery, lost in my thought. I also knew she was pissed.

Once we were back at her house, I help her unload the bags, depositing them on the table. Dave is sitting there, and I can't help but glare at him. He doesn't even look like he cares.