Twenty

I stared at the brick wall in front of me, and the students going past, waiting for Michael.

It had only been a few hours, and I didn't know what to expect. I mean, this school had classes like "Dream Interpretation" where you learned different ways to interpret your dreams and kept a dream journal, and a class about Greek Mythology. (Of course, the classes weren't required, just extra curricular, but still just as odd).

I pulled the strings on my hoodie boredly, edging closer to the wall to avoid the mass of people.

"Macey?" Michael spots me, and grabs my arm. "Lets get something to eat."

Five minutes later, we were out of the lunch line, the two of us holding identical gray trays. A styrofoam cup holding gloppy macaroni and cheese, two meager sticks of celery, a can of soda from the vending machine, and "chicken strips" (I was seriously doubting they're chicken) was what made up our lunch. I followed Michael quietly while he chattered on, until he sat at a table with a few other guys.

The table consisted of three other guys (All of them, who I could tell from the start , tried to look like they didn't put any effort into their hair or clothing, but I could tell they did), and one girl, with wide brown eyes with long lashes, and curly, caramel hair down to her waist. She was really pretty.

"Macey, sit." Michael says and I noticed I been zoning out.

I noticed the blond guy from my homeroom, and sat down, looking at my tray, ignoring the stares.

"Luke, Calum, Ashton," Michael points at each guy. "And Calum's girlfriend, Leslie. Guys, this is Macey."

"Your friend?" Ashton asks, jokingly. I knew Michael tells him everything.

Leslie scootches closer to Calum, her innocent eyes boring into mine.

"Hey. Uh i'm Macey." I waved slightly, opening up my soda.

Each guy muttered a greeting, seeming unfazed by me. Does Michael introduce girls to his friends often?

I stood up, saying I was going to the bathroom, and walked away hurriedly.  Footsteps sounded behind me, and I glanced to see Leslie, following.

"Hey?" I continued walking.

"Hey Macey!" Her over cheerfulness was alarming. Sort of like at Taco Bell, when the employes are being unusually nice, and you know its not genuine. "I love your hair!"

I had never actually had seen somebody who mastered the Insult/Compliment thing as well as her. As if she knew she was better than me.

I ignored her. I already hated her.

Later, at lunch, when we were talking about classes, she speaks again.

"Macey, are you thinking of any extracurricular classes? The dream interpretation one is good. So is the gardening one!"

"Leslie, you know that one guy is telling the teacher that he's growing an "exotic plant" from Zimbabwe in the school garden.  But you know its really weed." Calum points out.

"That's why its good!"

Everybody laughs. Maybe I was overreacting. Maybe she isn't that bad. Maybe, I was simply being a bitch.

"But seriously, how idiotic is the teacher?" Ashton rolls his eyes, speaking loudly. "Zimbabwe? Couldn't the kid have thought of a better name?"

After lunch, Michael and I say our farewell's, promising we would try and sit by each other in our class together.

"Have a good day." I know he's sincere, but I can't help but think that he treats me like a little kid on the verge of having a tantrum; like i'm going to explode.

"You too." I pull my hood back up,and he leans forward to plant a kiss on my forehead, in front of everybody.

I feel hot blood rush to my face, and I mutter a goodbye again, walking away quickly, even though I doubted anybody saw him.

I stopped by my lockers, my headphones in, when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I peeked to see Luke.

"Uh... Macey?" He says quietly. I got the feeling he was a quiet person.

"Yeah?" I rolled up my headphones, throwing them into the mostly empty locker.

"I just wanted to tell you about Michael. He's just..." He falters for a second. "Not very open. He has some issues."

"With his dad?"

"Mostly." Luke seems surprised by my knowledge. "He just needs somebody. Some color. Somebody to be there for him, you know?"

I nod, even though I didn't know.

"I hope you'll be that somebody."

-

oH MY GOD

so this is short and slightly crappy but there will be more better stuff soon pallyio

I hope you don't feel like i'm going nowhere with this? But no fronds everything is going according to plans