Thirty Five

The cheers were defiant; loud and obnoxious. But I didn't mind today. The wind ruffled my black robe, as I struggled to keep my hideous cap on. Yes, my school actually makes us wear graduation caps.

The bleachers vibrated as people cheered and stomped, as names of the graduating students were called. I couldn't help but grin in anticipation, as I peered over to see Michael on my right. He looked nervous, chewing on his lower lip, and his eyebrows furrowed.

"Michael." I whisper, hoping he will hear me over the yelling.

His eyes flick towards me, his body still. He raised his eyebrows, waiting.

"I love you." I tell him simply, hoping he may feel a little better. I knew he was nervous. I knew I was nervous. God, we were a mess. My hand finds my way towards him, and its my turn to squeeze his hand reassuringly.

"I love you too." He says, his cheeks turning pink. He pauses to look  behind him, where Calum, Luke, Ashton, and Leslie sat. No matter how much I hated it, her and Ashton were still dating. But I needed to move on. She was meaningless to me now. It would be better to just ignore them. Besides, saying that Ashton deserved better wasn't really going to help him. He had to figure it out on his own.

"We heard that." Calum teases, suddenly very interested in our conversation.

"Calum!" Michael warns as he smiles warmly, his cheeks even brighter now.

"Leave the two alone." Luke says seriously. Despite his tone, he was smiling, his eyes bright.

"Anyways," I turn back towards my boyfriend. Wow, I could actually say that. "I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of you. I'm going to miss you so much." I admit. "I just... Really really love you. But i'm so happy for you."

It didn't matter that we haven't gone on an official date. We had gotten to know each other. I let Michael in, and he let me in. And he was always there. More or less. Michael was my colors in my life. My reason. And I was forever grateful.

I hoped he felt the same way.

Before he had a chance to respond, he was called.

"Michael Clifford."

Michael's head jerks towards me, his eyes frantic. He wasn't ready.

"You'll do fine." I stand up as he does, standing on my tip toes to kiss his temple gently. I was a little embarrassed almost everyone saw that, as we were at the football field, in front of the whole school. But I ignored my heated cheeks, and sat back down to scootch closer to my dad. And Myrcella.

"Despite his drug dealing ways, I have to admit. He's a cute kid." Dave says, his eyes twinkling. I was not amused.

"Dave." Myrcella warns. She then turns to me. "Macey, you look so lovely. Good luck."

I had no idea how to answer to that, so I didn't. My cheeks burned red and I nodded, then turned back and stared straight ahead as Michael accepted his diploma.

Student after student was called, until finally I made it up there.

I couldn't calm my shaking body, and fiddled with my hair nervously, as I walked towards the podium. This was it.

I kept my eyes trained on Michael's, him standing in line with the rest of the class behind the podium. I took one last breath, and stepped up.

It was quite boring, honestly. I shook a man's hand and accepted my diploma. But it felt like so much more. It was always portrayed as something bigger in movies, but I just stood there, my cheeks red.

And after, as I walked towards Michael, and a group I could somewhat call my friends, I couldn't control my emotions. I mean, I just graduated school. Finally. And I had plans to go to college. I was overjoyed.

Before I went to my friends, Dave and Myrcella found me in the crowd. Before I knew it, I was pulled into a hug that consisted of three people.

"I'm so proud of you." Dave tells me, clapping me on the back. 

This was so weird.

Looking back a year, I would have never have thought I would be with my dad.

Myrcella just nods, her hair swaying. Finally, she pulls out a camera and snaps a picture of me unexpectedly.

"The unexpected ones are always the best." She says simply.

I finally detached myself from my dad and his fiancee, and ran towards Michael. Almost dramatically.

"Michael!" I yell.

"Macey!"  He giggles, ecstatic. He had gotten over the nervousness too. 

"You did great." I lean towards him, running a hand through his hair.

"You too." He smiles widely, flinging his arms around my shoulder. "I really love you."

I paused, to take in everything around me. Couples kissing. Family hugging. Teens celebrating. The loud cheers and screaming.

Before I could do anything, I was swept into another tight hug. 

"Who is-" I say, muffled, before getting a good look. 

It was Bob. Mr Kodish. Weird Bob. My homeroom teacher. 

There had been times he annoyed the shit out of me, not going to lie. Who the hell called themselves Bob? But it occured to me that it helped him become closer to the kids, which was weird. Instead of calling him Mr. Kodish. He was different, for sure. 

But at the same time, he had helped me out. 

Extended my deadlines for important projects, helped me make sure my notes were good,gave me extra credit projects, while all making dumb jokes. I was thankful. 

"I'm giving everyone a really big hug because I am going to miss you all so much." He says simply. 

He lets go. 

"Your turn Michael?"

I stiffle a laugh. 

They hug, and he turns back to me. 

"This year has been really stressful to you, Macey. But you did good. I'm proud."

Finally, I turned back to Michael , and was brought with a sudden urge to kiss him. To tell him how much he meant to me. I was so grateful.

"I love you too."

-

This is the end but hey there's also (a better) epilogue

Lots of love, molly