To school

I forgot to add the disclaimer, so here we go: none of these characters belong to me, they all belong to Shannon Messenger, lord of cliff hangers and nail biters.Now enjoy!

Sophie woke up the next day to the smell of bacon. She drowsily opened her eyes, then widened them fully as she realized today was the day: Foxfire-new-school-day. 

She leaped up and immediately tripped over her furry mystery pet-Iggy. Poor little guy, she still wasn't sure what he was. 

Sophie haphazardly put on her first day of school outfit, a gray t-shirt and old jeans. She didn't want to be noticed anymore than she had to. After this she grabbed her backpack and went downstairs to the kitchen. 

"Morning Sunshine!" her mother, Edaline exclaimed. She expertly flipped a happy face pancake on Sophie's plate. Sophie took those few seconds to wish she had that much coordination, then discarded those thoughts. I'll just live with my uncoordinated self  she thought. 

Sophie ate quickly, looked at the clock over the table, and raced to the door. 

"Don't you want a ride sweetie? It's gonna be lonely." Edaline called. 

"I'll be fine Mom!" Sophie shouted, then ran out. She walked the three blocks to school without problem, though every step twisted in her stomach. All doubts now seemed to spring to life, every worse case scenario her fate. She shook her head, attempting to clear it. 

"Hey! You okay?" a voice called from behind. Sophie whirled around, and saw a tall strawberry blond boy. She faintly remembered Edaline saying she had a cousin living here, but up until now she hadn't remembered. Images from the family scrap book sprang to life, leaving this boy. What was his name... Darrin?No... Dobbie? Sophie smiled as she pictured the boy as her favorite fictional character. 

"What are you smiling about?" he asked, coming closer. His eyes widened. 

"Sophie! Sorry I didn't recognize you! I haven't seen you since we were little!" the boy hugged her rather awkwardly. 

"Hey..." Sophie replied, still not remembering his name. 

"It's Dex." He said, smiling wider. Of course! Now she remembered. Sophie wasn't used to her photographic memory failing her. Must be the stress she thought. 

"Do you want me to show you around?" Dex asked, and she realized they had arrived at Foxfire. The building was white, with green lawns sprawling like a lazy cat and flowers blooming in the background. Sophie nodded numbly, and together they walked through the front gates.