Blindside Crush

Sophie did see, very clearly who Biana was talking about. 

"Yeah." Sophie replied unenthusiastically, accepting the flowers and chocolate. She couldn't believe it... she was just asked out... by Valin? She didn't even know his last name. 

Valin grinned, greasy hair glinting in the synthetic light of the Foxfire cafeteria. The students around her clapped loudly, making Sophie want to die from all the attention.  

Finally, Valin left and people stopped looking at her. Sophie hurriedly took a seat at her groups' table. Biana smiled. 

"You got what you wanted," she reminded Sophie. I didn't want to be asked by Valin Sophie retorted in her mind. Keefe smirked at her. 

"You guys looked so cute together! His drool really makes your hair shine!" Keefe joked. Dex and Tam chuckled at Keefe's remark. Sophie looked down to see a piece of her beautiful blonde hair soaked with slobber. 

"Eww! Does someone have a napkin?"  

Biana graciously provided her with one, and Sophie gingerly wiped her hair. A round of applause echoed in the cafeteria. Sophie and her group looked up. Fitz had just asked Linh out to formal with what looked like a hamster. Lihn squealed in delight. 

"He didn't tell me he was asking her! Darn that Fitz!" Biana muttered. Beside her, Tam looked on protectively. 

The couple came to the table and sat down. 

"Love is in the air folks, with already two girls being asked- and in one lunch period!" Keefe narrated, holding a water bottle as a microphone. Tam threw a piece of lettuce at him moodily.

"Who else got asked?" Linh inquired, looking around. 

"The Great Sophie Foster!" Keefe shouted, making heads turn. Sophie slouched in her seat and ate her sandwich. 

"Who asked you?" Fitz questioned. 

"Valin." Sophie muttered into her sandwich. 

"Who?" 

"Valin, the Grease Master, who else?" Keefe answered for Sophie. 

"Ah," Fitz said. Sophie didn't feel very hungry anymore. 

                                                                              *** 

Sophie lay in bed, thinking. Why was she upset? She had been asked, yet she felt so hollow. She played with the memory. What if Dex, Tam, Keefe, or Fitz had asked her? Would she feel the same?

One name made her heart suddenly beat faster. 

No, no, no, no, no! Please no! Sophie fought with herself. This is not happening! But already she knew it was true. 

Sophie liked Fitz Vacker.

Okay, don't kill me. I'm not sure what to say, because I don't want to spoil it. All I can say is hang in there ;)