Misunderstanding

Publishing two chapters because you guys are so awesome! Things are heating up ;)

Sophie watched as the couple shyly held hands and walked away. If possible, she knew her eyes would be green with envy. She forced her eyes away, looking instead at the pile of homework that lay by her backpack. She was on the third level of Foxfire in what was crudely shaped as a crow's nest, where students often liked to hang out after school. She couldn't help but look down below at the couples' disappearing forms. 

Tons of boys were asking their dates to Winter Formal. Sophie hadn't thought she would ever be affected, but it kind of hurt, especially when even Dex had a date.

I shouldn't be jealous of Dex anyway, she reprimanded herself. He deserves it.

Dex had even asked for her help in making the poster to ask out Marella. Sophie had done all the work, really, but she would never tell anyone.  

Sophie sat down, putting her hands around her knees and tucking in her head, thinking sadly:

 I'm a single pringle!.. wait... pringles are made out of potatoes...  I knew it! I'm an ugly potato... that blushes tomato?

She would have gone on, except she felt a warm hand on her shoulder. Sophie looked up. Keefe stood over her, smirking. 

"Has the Great Foster..." he stopped, as if he suddenly sensed her mood. Sophie turned away, not wanting to deal with Keefe's antics. 

"Hey, you okay?" Keefe knelt by her, still keeping his hand on her shoulder. Sophie felt her stomach churn, and knew the floodgates had inevitably opened. Tears streamed down her face, muddling her eyesight. 

"Go away Keefe," Sophie sniffled. She hated whenever she broke down and cried in front of people, even if it was just her mom. To make matters worse, Biana happened to climb up the stairs right at that moment. 

"Hey guys! Those stairs-" Biana took in the scene, face changing from exhausted, concern, then fury. 

"KEEFE SCENCEN! YOU HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING! WHAT DID YOU DO? DID YOU BREAK SOPHIE"S HEART? IT WAS FORMAL, WASN'T IT?" 

As she yelled this, Biana came steadily closer. Keefe gave an uncharacteristic yelp, backing away slowly with his hands in an 'I surrender' gesture. 

"Get outta here Sencen." Biana's voice was dangerously close, and even Sophie was scared. 

Keefe looked back and forth, weighing his options, then left. Biana smashed Sophie in a hug. 

"I can kill his reputation. I'll spread rumors as thick as molasses. I'll-" 

"Biana, it's okay. Keefe was just trying to help me and I broke down." Sophie explained, although the tear stains down her cheeks didn't help her case. Sophie sighed, then told Biana what had actually happened. Biana softened at the explanation. 

"Aww, Soph, don't worry." Biana crooned. "You'll be fine. And don't worry! A date isn't everything. But..." She looked around conspiratorially. "I know that someone's a bit stuck on you." 

"Who?" Sophie asked, now fully present and not in mope mode. Biana smiled. 

"You'll see."