Keefe's List

Last week I found this hilarious list of things to do if you're bored in class. Here's the link: 

https://byebyeboringday.wordpress.com/school-time/99-fun-things-to-do-in-a-boring-lesson/

It wouldn't link, but you can copy and paste. I'm going to use the list in this chapter, so you'll see some of the ones I found funny. I hope you enjoy, as always.

Dex leaned over Sophie's work, brows furrowed. After a moment he straightened out.

"I hate to say it, but you just can't seem to balance equations." He said, gesturing to all the red marks he had made on Sophie's chemistry paper. Sophie groaned loudly.

Sophie had called Dex over to study for the Chemistry final, which was the next day.

"I'll never pass chemistry! My grade is literally a 68!" she cried. Dex looked at her in sympathy. Sophie looked back at him, unconvinced.

"Can I just borrow your brain tomorrow? I promise I'll eventually give it back." Dex threw her a sympathy smile. It was a painful fact that Dex had a perfect grade in the class.

Sophie put down her pencil.

"Let's take a break. What do you want to do?" Sophie asked. Dex pursed his lips.

"Do you guys have Mallowmelt?"

"No, we ate it up last time you came over, which was yesterday." Dex nodded sadly.

"Hey," Sophie exclaimed suddenly. "Let's go to the garden. My mom said the grapes are ripe."

"Let's go!" Dex agreed, eager to get away from Sophie's failing doom.

Sophie led Dex through her expansive yard, occasionally gesturing at a new pen or animal they had rescued.

"Your yard is so cool," Dex commented.

"Yeah, it's pretty great." Sophie replied. She waved her hand at a row of vines.

"Behold, the grapes of wrath!" she shouted melodramatically.

"Have you even read that book?" Dex asked.

"No, but I'd like people to believe I'm cultured so I make references to books I've never read."

"Ah," Dex said.

                                                                                       ***  

Sophie gingerly picked up the test that had been handed back face down. She gulped loudly, and turned it over.  Scrawled on the top was a bloody 69, circled in red. Sophie internally screamed. From across the room, Dex looked at her in sympathy. 

Did you pass? he mouthed. 

69, she mouthed back. 

I'm sorry, he returned. 

The bell rang, and the rest of class headed to the next class. Sophie remained, walking up to the teacher nervously, test in hand. 

"Can I help you?" Ms. Field asked while wiping down the chalk board. 

"Can I try to bump up my grade to a C?" Sophie asked. The teacher had told them that if they were a borderline grade, she would consider raising it if they could prove themselves worthy. 

"Sure you can. Hold on." she said, putting on her glasses and writing a problem on the board. 

"If you can balance this, I'll consider it." she said. Sophie began the problem, shaking in nervousness. After about 10 minutes, Sophie stepped back. Ms. Field inspected the problem.