Chapter 3

Part 3

Emily was a bit confused. She walked in the house and saw it was only 6:30. It had felt much later than that.

"Mum, I'm back," Thomas called.

"Good, just in time for Dinner," she said walking around the  corner, "Oh," she said seeing me almost hiding behind Thomas,

"Who's this?" She asked gesturing to me.

"Oh, this is-"

"Emily?" A voice came from behind. Emily turned to see Ava smiling.

"Hi," she said quietly, "Mum, this is Emily, Thomas met her on the train ride," she said, "Why she's here currently, I'll never know,"

"She got lost, and I saved her," he laughed, "Sorry for not telling you ahead of time, but I was out anyway, and she said she was lost, so, I thought she could stay with us," he said.

"Someone will have to sleep on the couch." She said walking away from them.

"Thanks mum," Thomas said showing Emily to the living room,

"You can just sit if you want." He said after he sat down. Emily shivered, and put her arms over her chest in an attempt to keep warm.

"Thomas," Ava said.

"What?" He asked looking up at Ava.

"I think she's cold," she said. Thomas looked over at Emily and noticed how she was shivering.

"Ok, then why don't you offer her clothes, or...something....?" Thomas asked her. Ava shook her head at Thomas and walked over to Emily.

"I have clothes," she said. Thomas asked where they were when the realization hit her like a brick, "Back at the curb!" She placed her Face in her hands, and silently admitted defeat.

"Come on, I think my clothes will fit," Ava took her hand, and they walked up the stairs. Ava pulled out some clothes, and laid them on the bed.

"Thanks," she walked into the bathroom, and tried on the shirt,

"Ava," she said, and came to the door, "This shirt is too small," she said.

"THOMAS!" She yelled down the stairs. He trudged up to her, and asked what she wanted, "My shirts don't fit her, so I need one of yours," the door opened slightly, and a button down shirt was reached in. It was red, and blue, plaid shirt. Emily was buttoning up the last of the buttons when Thomas popped his head in the door with his hand covering his eyes.

“Dinner’s ready if you’re hungry.” He said.

“Yeah, thanks,” She said, “By the way, you can open your eyes.” She giggled taking his hand off his face. He smiled and opened the door all the way.

“Thanks,” He laughed, and walked down the hall. Thomas led her to the dining room, and pulled out her chair.

“Smells wonderful, what’s to eat?” Ava asked sitting across from Emily.

“Roast Beef and Potatoes.” Tasha said sitting down at the head of the table. Thomas sat next to Emily, and smiled.

“Alright, let’s dig in!” Tasha said.

“Wait,” Emily said stopping them.

“What?” Thomas asked.

“Who’s gonna pray, and thank the Lord for the food?” She asked. Thomas looked at her, and then to his family.

“Umm, Emily,” He said, “We don’t usually do that,” He started,

“Bu-“

“You should!” Emily said, she was trying to hold her rant back, but the dam broke, and it all came spilling out, “WHO DO YOU THINK THIS CAME FROM?! WHY DO YOU THINK ANYTHING HAPPENS?!” She yelled. Thomas looked at her, and frowned. Emily’s eyes grew wide, and immediately walked out of the room, and back into the bathroom. She was embarrassed to say the least. She sighed against the door, and tried to stop her face from burning.

"Emily?" Thomas asked after knocking slightly, "Come on out," he said, "It's ok, I get why you said that," he was trying his best to get her to open the door, "I'm sorry," he said, "I probably should've warned you," he said. The more he said the more Emily felt embarrassed.

"Thomas, we're... going out," Ava said.

"Please come out," he said Ava nodded, and her and Tasha left. Thomas opened the door, and saw her curled up in a ball with her face against her knees. He sat down on the floor next to her, and put his arms around her. She looked up, and frowned.

"I ruined dinner," she said simply.

"Nah, just a bit," he said. He kissed her cheek, and held her closer. He smelt like cigarettes. Emily usually hated that smell, but this time she didn't seem to mind. Emily slowly drifted off to sleep, and Thomas noticed. Thomas picked her up, and carried her into his room. He placed her on the bed, and walled over to his desk. He sat down, and sighed.

The next morning Emily woke up in a warm bed that was bigger than the one she had at home. She stayed with her face buried in a pillow until she heard someone coming. She sat up, and watched the door slowly open.

"Emily?" He asked. She smiled a bit, and watched him walk over to the bed. He sat down next to her.

"How are you?" He asked. Emily was about to answer when the door opened.

"Thomas? Emily?" Ava asked, “Are you in here?” She poked her head in, and smiled.

“What do you need, Ava?” Thomas asked.

“Just checking to see if you guys were awake!” She said, “I’m gonna go now...” She said. She walked out of the room, and down the hall.

“Emily, Let’s go out for lunch,” He said.

“Lunch?” She asked, “What time is it?” She stood up.

“Uh,” He looked at his watch, “About 12:30,” He said. Emily jumped up, and ran into the bathroom. She started to attempt to brush her teeth with her finger. She combed through her hair with her hands, and washed off her face.

“Whatcha doin?” He asked.

“Trying to look presentable.” She answered. Thomas chuckled, and opened one of the cabinets. He pulled out a pack of small toothbrushes, and handed her one. Then he grabbed a hairbrush, and gave it to her too.

“These might help,” He chuckled. Emily thanked him, and started brushing her teeth. Thomas soon returned with some clothes. He placed them on the counter, and closed the door behind him. Emily got dressed, and walked out of the room.

“Ah, there you are!” He said.