Chapter 4

Thomas and Emily had just finished up their lunch when Thomas’s phone started to ring.

“Give me a minute?” He said, and stood up. Emily watched him talk on the phone, and he got an aggravated look on his face. He hung up the phone, and walked back over to Emily at the table.

“Look, one of the camera men misplaced the final take of my voice recordings for “Phineas and Ferb”, I’ve gotta go, but I’ll be back soon!” He added quickly.

“Ok,”

“Why don’t you go get some clothes and a toothbrush from the store?” Thomas asked handing her some money.

“Oh, thanks,” She said. She smiled, and they walked out of the building. Thomas pulled her into a hug, and kissed her cheek. Emily said goodbye, and they parted ways. Emily made her way down the small strip, and found a nice little shop called “The Purple Alligator”

“Welcome to TPA. How may I help you?” A girl from behind the counter asked.

‘Boy, she looks familiar,’ Emily thought.“Oh! No, I don’t think so.” She said walking around one of the racks. The girl’s name tag said “Serena” But she looked nothing like a Serena, “I’m sorry, do I know you?” Emily asked her. Serena’s eyes widened as if she had realized something.

“No, nope, never met you in my entire life,” She said covering her face, and walking away.

“No, I think I know you,” Emily followed her, “I never forget a face!” She followed her to the back of the store.

“Please,” Serena said, “Just buy what you came to buy.” She whispered.

“Robyn?” Emily asked, “Robyn Jones!” Emily smiled as big as Serena’s frown.

“No, you have to go,” She looked down, “You must have me mistaken with someone else!” She threw in a bit of a Scottish accent.

“Ok, now I know you’re Robyn!” she said. The man in the corner of the building grunted.“I’m sorry, my name is Serena Martinson,” She said.

“Who is that?” Emily asked leaning in close.

“Just a customer,” She mumbled, “I hope,” She said. Emily looked at her.

“Meet me at The Muffin Man down the road.” Emily whispered. Serena nodded, and looked her in the eye.

“Em,” She said.

“Yup, I know, just meet me at the diner, and we’ll talk about it-“

“No, my place. Tonight.” She asked.

“I can’t!” Emily said, “I can’t,” She said, “I’m staying with someone! I don’t think he’d be ok with me leaving late at night.” She said.

“Ok, I get off in about 15 minutes.” She said.

“Oh, Ok, I’ll just stay here.” She said. They nodded in agreement. And sure enough- 15 minutes later, Serena got off work.

“Ok,” She started as they got to her house, “You remember- Ashleigh, Kaitlyn, and my parents, right?” She asked. Emily nodded. Serena swallowed hard, “Their gone,” She attempted to not frown, but it showed through.

“I am all alone now.” She mumbled. She had a disgusted look on her face, “I’m in witness protection now. They sent me here to England, and gave me a place to live. That’s why you couldn’t know who I was. Or at least not in public.” She frowned. Emily hugged her.

“I had no idea!” I’m so sorry!” Emily said.

“We can stay in contact; it’s just that I’m now Serena. I will never be Robyn ever again.” She said.

“Ok, ok,” Emily said. She smiled, and they walked back to Thomas’s house. Emily hugged her once more, and smiled.

“You can stay the night,” She said.

“No, I need to go home.” She said.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, yeah?” Emily asked.

“I don’t know...” She said. Emily said goodbye to her friend, and walked in the warm house.

“Hey, how was your day?” Thomas asked as Emily put her 3 bags down.

“My day?” She asked, “Well, I met a friend from when I was 12,” She said.

“Good,” He said.

“Kinda...” She added, Thomas had a confused look on his face, “She is in witness protection! Her family was-“ She stopped not wanting to say it.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Thomas said. She sat down on the couch, and pulled a blanket over herself. Thomas said goodnight to her, and he went up to his room to sleep.

THE NEXT MORNING

Emily sat straight up, and got up to answer the phone.

“Hello?” She asked.

“Hi! I’m Britt, let me know if it’s anything serious between you and Thomas,” She said. Emily was confused.

“Huh...” She started.

“If you want I can tell him you’re through!” She said to Emily. Emily just slowly put the phone down, and decided to go out to see Serena.

“Emily? What are you doing here?” Serena asked, “You’ll be killed!” Serena pulled her into her house, and closed the door.

“Dang!” Emily said, “Who’s after you?!” She asked, “Sorry.” She realized how sensitive of a question it was she had asked.

“Have you not seen the news?!” She asked. She threw the newspaper on the table in front of Emily. Emily saw what she meant. There were pictures of her and Thomas at the diner, and when they left. Mainly him giving her a kiss and a hug, and holding her hand. She felt a bit violated.

“Well that phone call this morning makes a lot more sense.” Emily commented. She chuckled at her own comment, and looked at Serena.

“What do you have to say for yourself?!” She yelled.

“What?” She said.

“Ok, just don’t meet any of the fans.” Serena said.

“Why not?” She asked.

“Cause! Don’t you remember that story I wrote you!” Serena asked.

“Oh yeah, You never finished it." She said.

"WELL! That's cause it go too depressing!" Serena argued back, "You got kidnapped, and almost killed!"