New arrival ( 1x01 ) part 2

Clary had been sent to the police station where she was supposed to find Luke. Unfortunately, everything didn't go as planned. She, indeed, found him there, but he was meeting with two people. She overheard their conversation about a Cup she didn't know about but it involved both her and her mother.

The two unknown people had asked Luke for the Cup, because they suspected him to have it. Luke had answered that he didn't, and if he did found it, he would keep it for himself. And that was the only reason why he stayed with the Frays, even though she caught them saying the name Fairchild.

Clary was broken. Everything was slowly falling apart the more the minutes passed. Jocelyn had told her the only one she needed was Luke, but the conversation she just heard convinced her of the contrary. So, instead of waiting for him to finish his meeting, she ran outside through the rainy night and made her way back home to find her mother.

"Mom ! Mom !" Clary shouted once she arrived in front of her house.

She stopped dead in her tracks when she noticed a red stain on the ground, that looked like blood. It only took Clary a few second to realize that it was actual blood. Considering the circumstances in which she left her mother, she expected the worse. She didn't lose time, and climbed the stairs under the rain. Once she reached the door, she pulled it open and screamed for her mom.

The first thing she noticed was how messy the whole place was. Chairs and tables were turned upside down, shattered glass was on the floor and her mother was nowhere to be seen.

Clary panicked, and started crying harder. "MOM !"

She decided to look further around the apartment, but not without being armed. She grabbed an ax and looked around for any signs of life other than hers. When she ended up in the living-room, she found something standing in the shadows. As she approached that person, she recognized Dot. A sigh of relief escaped her lips as she walked up to Dot and left her ax on the floor.

"They took Jocelyn." Dot told Clary.

"Who took her ?" Clary asked, with panic filling her voice.

"Rogue shadowhunters searching for the Mortal Cup." Dot answered as she slowly walked towards Clary.

"What the hell are you talking about ?"

"Think Clary. Did your mother ever talk to you about a cup ? A very important cup. It's gold, almost like a chalice."

Clary started thinking about it, but she still had no idea of what Dot was talking about. "No, no I don't know anything about a cup, Dot. One of the antiquities downstairs ?" Clary suggested.

"No, not those. Think, Clary." Dot insisted. "This could save Jocelyn."

"I can't think ! Someone kidnapped my mother." the young, frightened teenager snapped.

Dot's face became more stern, and with a bitter voice she said "You know more than you think you do, Clary Fray."

And then, what Clary least expected happened. Dot rushed forward with tentacles coming out of her mouth, but before the demon that took the appearance of Dot could touch her, Clary grabbed her stele that had been hidden in her jeans pocket, and touched her with it. It seemed to hurt because the demon stepped back. Unfortunately, it hadn't been enough for Clary to be safe. The demon turned into its real form in front of Clary and jumped over the table that was between them, which made Clary fall back out of surprise. The demon cut her shoulder in the process, but Clary managed to stand up. She cowered in fear as the demon stood only an inch away from her, when suddenly, a seraph blade pierced the demon's chest, which made it vanish in front of Clary. She had seen this before. At the club, when she was forced to kill a demon but also when Jace and his friends killed the other ones. As the demon vaporized, Clary realized that Jace had been the one who saved her.