The Card ( 1x07 ) part 1

"I know where the Cup is."

Alec had already left the loft when Clary burst in Magnus' living-room and claimed that she knew where to find a Cup.

"Come again ?" Jace said.

He was the only one who stayed to not leave Clary alone.

"The tarot cards. My mom, she must have painted them years ago, but the Mortal Cup has to be hidden inside the Ace of Cups. The card looks exactly like it." Clary explained.

Magnus glanced at Jace who returned him the same look. Clary had hoped that at least one of them would've said something about her new discovery, but none of them said anything.

"Why aren't you guys happy about this ? All we have to do is find....Dot." Clary trailed off as she realized why they didn't say anything.

"If Dot had the cards when she was taken, we don't have much time. If Valentine gets his hands on the Cup and started creating Shadowhunters or even gained control of demons..."

"It'd be like Beyonce riding on a dinosaur through Times Square. People would notice." Magnus cut Jace off as he stood up from his couch and walked over the window.

"Valentine doesn't have the cards." they all heard Luke say as he joined them in the living-room.

He still had his bandages over his chest, but he was quickly healing. At least he wasn't as weak as he was when he was brought by the Shadowhunters and Simon.

"I do." he told them. "They're in my desk back at the precinct. When Clary went missing, I went to the loft and I cleared everything out because I didn't want the Circle to track her."

"That's great, it should be easy." Clary commented.

"It's not. Valentine has spies everywhere, even in the NYPD. And I'm not the only Downworlder at the police station, which means they'll want the Cup too. I suggest we go in the morning. A couple hours of beauty sleep and I'll be brand new." Luke suggested.

Clary looked at Jace who shrugged his shoulders.

"Fine."

~~

The next morning, Jace, Clary and Luke went to the police station. Luke told Clary and Jace to wait for him outside while he went inside. It'd catch less attention if he, as a detective, went in his office to retrieve the cards. With Valentine spies in the police station, he feared they would recognize Clary and kidnap her.

Luke had already reached his office when he was stopped by internal affairs officers who took his badge and his gun. From outside, Jace and Clary could see the officers and Luke walk by a corridor that was protected by walls of windows. Clary's attention was on her ringing phone when Jace saw Luke with his hands tied. It was Simon. Clary didn't hesitate long before she declined the call.

"Just so I'm clear, he did mention something about trying to avoid attention, right ? From the looks of it, he's doing a terrible job." Jace commented and Clary followed his gaze.

"Circle members ?"

Jace shook his head. "Mundanes. Internal affairs officers."

Clary rolled her eyes at how confidently he described them, as if he knew everything."You can tell that just by looking at them ?"