Luke's truth( 1x06 ) part 3

Clary sat on the edge of the bed, to be prepared to what Luke had to say.

"Your parents were married at the time." Luke reminded Clary. "I was both, Jocelyn's friend and Valentine's parabatai. When Valentine's rhetoric got more violent, and when he became more combative with the Clave, Jocelyn and I became worried. We tried to help him....temper him but he just kept pulling away. That just drew Jocelyn and I closer together."

Luke remembered of that night where he engulfed Jocelyn in a hug to confort her because she was upset that Valentine was always angry. What they didn't know at the time, was that Valentine was looking at them from afar.

"But Valentine took it the wrong way." Luke continued. "He saw my friendship with Jocelyn as something more than that. He became convinced that we were having an affair. He was obsessed with winning Jocelyn's heart back. For love, he became fixated on becoming a better soldier. That led him to do the unthinkable experiment with Downworlder blood. The more injections he took, the deeper it seemed he descended into madness."

"What happened ?" Clary finally spoke, submerged by Luke's story. She was eager to know more, she needed the truth. Magnus didn't have all the answers, and the only one who knew everything was sitting right in front of him.

"Valentine asked me to back him up on a mission. Some farmers had gone missing. He said it was werewolves."

Luke explained her how it all happened.

Luke had entered in the farm first, and had expected Valentine to follow him, but when he turned around, Valentine was locking Luke in. His parabatai had trapped him in a farm where werewolves attacked him, and made him one of their own. Valentine had betrayed their parabatai bond and everything else he believed in.

The day Valentine first touched the Mortal Cup, Luke had tried to stop him. Valentine expected Luke to be dead, but he survived the wolves' attack. But even as a new werewolf, Valentine was stronger. The blood injections he did on himself made him stronger. He had knocked Luke down, and before he could get up, Valentine sunk a needle in Luke's neck. He pulled out a sample of Luke's blood before he pulled the needle out of his neck and kicked Luke's guts.

"You can't keep doing this to yourself, Valentine !" Luke had tried to reason him about the Downworlder's blood, but in vain.

"You're an abomination. You should've killed yourself." Valentine had said, as he picked up his blade and walked towards his parabatai to kill him.

Jocelyn and her friend had intervened before Valentine did anything to Luke. As Valentine was fighting against his opponent, Jocelyn had benefited of his inattention to take the Cup and run away.

"When Valentine ran after Jocelyn, I thought he'd kill her. He wanted us both dead. He turned Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Killed thousands. Do you understand what I'm saying now ?" Luke asked Clary.

"Only God knows what he'd do with the Mortal Cup."

Luke nodded. "Which is why we have to get the Cup before Valentine does."

"But I don't know where it is. Or even where to start looking." Clary sighed.

"You're the only other person Jocelyn would have trusted with the location of the Cup. Your memory's wiped but there are clues inside the mundane's world. You just have to think, Clary. It all starts and ends with you."