Chapter XXI: Cerberus

Hades hovered several inches above the ground. His eyes alight with protective power as his bio-electricity crackled angrily around him. Pieces of the ship torn apart by the aftershocks flew through the room, under the power of his electrical surge.

The beast barreled toward them. Its enormity enabled it to traverse the room, which was the size of the Roman Coliseum, in only five bounds. The four-legged monstrosity skittered to a halt, its colossal paws inches from Cornelia's face. Her body quaked as a large gooey glob of drool landed on her foot and she faced a single toe that was the size of her entire body. 

Six phosphorescent red eyes, each the size of her fist, glowered back at her. Large canine teeth smashed hungrily above her as warm sulfuric breath assaulted her senses. A growl emanated from the beast's chest, that vibrated through her armor.

Its heads snapped at each other as if vying for dibs on the first bite. Cornelia raised her sword shaking, her back pinned to the wall. Sweat trickled down her forehead stinging her eyes. She felt her legs buckling like gelatin under the weight of her fear.

"W-what is that?" she stammered.

"I have no fracking clue," Hades growled throwing lightning against the enormous monstrosity.

Despite his best efforts, his electricity had no effect other than further irritating the hell hound. Cornelia darted through its legs rolling behind the back ankle. She gripped her small sword with two hands an sliced hard into the creature's ankle. She felt her wrists and muscle kickback on impact. Her sword was useless as it collided with a trunklike black-furred ankle bone. She glanced up in the hope of some sign of pain, some inkling of weakness. There was none; It barely noticed she was there. All of its focus was on one person. That person was Hades, which seemed to be his goal.

Its massive jaws opened wide. All three square canine heads surged towards Hades. Cornelia screamed and covered her eyes. She shook when she heard a massive boom and felt the entire ship shudder. She believed her world at an end.

Then she heard another loud crash, this one much further from her. She dared herself to peek, her mind playing with her heart with terror as it created visions of a mangled Hades lying on the floor.

She blinked three times as she felt the sweet bliss of relief course through her veins. It was not hades who lay stunned on the floor. In fact, he was on a very different side of the room his eyes wide with relief and awe.  The large dog lay on its side. A large metal plate behind it was crumpled beneath its body.

Yellow eyes, shimmering skin, and an impassive expression had never been such a welcome sight. Hercules was standing protectively in front of Hades. He smiled at Cornelia and winked. "Better late than never, am I right?!"

She chuckled in relief and exasperation, forgetting for the briefest moment that death in the form of a hungry three-headed blackguard rose from the crumpled remains of metal and wiring. With an earth-shattering howl, the hellhound charged at Hercules who grabbed Hades and hurled him to the other side of the ship.

Hercules' legs clenched in anticipation of the beast his mouth in a tight and determined smile. "I missed this."

"He's your specialty, " Cornelia hollered to Hercules watching the onslaught of the Beast's charge. "Weapons do not work against him!"

"Excellent!"Herc shouted back, always eager to show off his technological advantages. He saluted them as he used his powerful legs to launch himself into the air, a breath before fangs and putrid saliva snapped into the space he had been.