Prologue

The two Rangers had gone half a dozen paces when Halt stopped and turned back. He eyed Gilan keenly. "You did very well, Gilan. I owe you my life."
The boy flushed at such praise, particularly as it was delivered in front of his father and the King. Before he could reply, Halt continued. "If you still want to be a Ranger, come see us in a couple of years."
A huge grin spread over Gilan's young face. His father regarded him curiously. This was the first he had heard of Gilan's desire to join the rangers. The boy bobbed his head in gratitude.
"I'll do that Halt," he replied.
Halt hid his answering smile, maintaining a deadpan expression.
"I'll put in a good word for you," he said. "I have a certain amount of influence with the Commandant."
Crowley raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Is that so? It's the first I've heard ot it."
Halt slapped him on the back. "You're always the last to know things," he told his friend.

-Ranger's Apprentice:The Early Years: The Battle of Hackham Heath

Light flooded through the window of Gilan's room. He groaned and set his pillow over his head.

Suddenly, he sat up. His eyes gleaming with excitement and joy. It was his fifteenth birthday! He could finally become a Ranger's apprentice. He burst through the door of his room and ran down the stairs.

Gilan slid to the entrance of the kitchen, then froze. There he was, in his undershirt and pants, in front of his mother, father, and a ranger. In fact, he knew the ranger.

Ranger Halt.

The 3 adults turned to look at Gilan, who was turning red. Gilan nervously chuckled before sprinting back to his room.

Gilan slammed his door shut, and quickly changed into the clothes he  wore when traveling. Today was the day. The day he would follow Halt.

After packing, Gilan stood up. His sword was strapped on his hip, and his hair was messy. Gilan reached up and tousled his hair.

He started to talk to himself. "Clothes check. Food check. Me check. I'm ready."

Gilan opened his door and poked his head out slowly. He tiptoed out and down the stairs. He hoped that Halt was still here. It was around noon, and when Halt visits, he always leaves around noon.

As he rounded a corner, Gilan saw Halt stand, and give his farewells. Gilan grinned to himself and ran up the stairs. He grabbed his bag and opened his window.

Gilan knew his father didn't want him to be a ranger, but a knight. He sighed. Maybe he should ask his father.

Gilan quickly picked up a pen and wrote a quick note to his parents. He slung his bag over his shoulder and climbed out of his window.

Gilan closed his window and crouched. Standing on a roof wasn't easy since it was slanted, but Gilan had snuck out of the house many times.

He peered down to see the door opening. Gilan scooted back a little and watched Halt mount Abelard, his horse. When his parents went back in, Gilan immediately slid down.

Gilan smiled as he started running after Halt.

His adventure was starting.

A/N:
I know... short chapter. But it's a prologue! Give me a break on this. I don't have a steady update schedule for this story, but I will try to update every other week with Lost and Found. TRY.

This was rushed wasn't it?

PilindielTheElf signing off