Chapter 33

Sailing back home to Araluen was no easy feat. Kyli had released the Skandians when she broke free of her bonds, causing many problems. As the children filed onto the ship, Halt, Bloise, Genevieve, and Aldren stood to the side, talking quietly to each other.

"We have everything, right?" Bloise asked, eyes watching the children.

"I believe we do," Aldren nodded.

"Food? Water?"

"All in order," Genevieve replied. "I managed it myself."

"Everyone on board?"

"I counted thirteen kids," Halt muttered. "That should be all of them And William is already locked away in the captain's quarters."

"Did they all find their belongings?" Bloise asked, knowing that the potential weapons some of the kids carried were taken off of them."

Halt nodded, spotting Gilan putting on his double knife scabbard.

"Then we're all good," Bloise approvingly nodded before hesitated. "Except one thing."

Aldren sighed. "And that is?"

"We don't know how to steer this ship," Bloise muttered.

Genevieve blinked. "But is that really a problem?" she asked. "We have watched those Skandians when we were headed over here. I'm sure we can make it."

"Maybe one of them have experience sailing a ship," Aldren gestured to the kids. "One of them has to come from a family of fishermen."

"We'll wing it," Halt muttered, boarding. "Genevieve, Bloise," he started. "You two have watched the Skandians day and night. I'm sure you know what to do." 

Glancing at each other, Bloise and Genevieve blinked. The journey home was going to be no easy feat.

>>>------------->

Gilan walked away from Humphrey and Milo, heading towards Blaze. Surprisingly, the ride home had so far gone quite smoothly. It had been a couple days since they left Gallica, and Araluen was close.

Aldren was manning the sails, Bloise was at the tiller, Genevieve was studying maps, and Halt, well Halt wasn't really helping. He was standing in his usual spot next to the railing, face green.

"Hey girl," Gilan murmured, stroking Blaze's nose. "How have you been?"

Tired of traveling, which I should probably blame you for. Getting kidnapped has given me a hard time.

Gilan chuckled at the mare. We're almost home. 

Blaze snorted. Almost isn't good enough. It's never good enough.

Gilan inclined his head, wrinkling his nose. "You're no fun," he muttered, leaving Blaze for Halt.

"Halt," Gilan stood next to his mentor. When no answer came, Gilan sighed. "Do I really have to do this?" No answer. Gilan frowned. "Halt? Halt. Halt. Halt. Halt. Halt. Halt. Halt. Halt. Halt. Ha-"

"Okay!" Halt yelled, covering his mouth. "What?"

"You're face is green."

"Oh, is it?" Halt muttered. "Would you like me to make yours green too?"

"Of course not!" Gilan cheerfully replied.

Halt glared at his apprentice before leaning over the rail, making a gross, gurgling sound. Gilan grimaced. "Ew."

"I could throw you in on it," Halt muttered, gripping onto the rail tighter.

"No tha-"

"Redmont ahead!" Genevieve interrupted, calling out to Bloise and Aldren.

The docks of Redmont quickly approached, and Aldren tensed. "How do we stop the ship?"

"How would I know?" Bloise yelled back.

Genevieve widened her eyes. "Try putting away the sail."

Aldren turned to the sail, and messed around with it. "And how do I do that?"

"How did you get it down?" Bloise asked, leaving the tiller to examine the sails.

"I didn't," Aldren replied. "It was already do-"

"Boys!" Genevieve shouted, running around the deck. "Do we have an anchor?"

"I don-" Bloise started.

"We're going to crash!" Aldren yelled. "Hold onto something."

The children scrambled to hold onto the railings, land dangerously coming closer.

"The horses!" Bloise yelled. "How are they meant to hold onto something.

"They'll be fine!" Genevieve screamed.

"And how would you know that?" Aldren yelled back, releasing the sail he was holding onto and running to the four horses.

Crack!

The ship crashed into the stones on the banks of Redmont, water seeeping through. Halt released the railing. "Get on land!" he yelled. "Children first!"

The next moments a blur, Bloise and Genevieve ran around the ship, helping the kids stand and ushering them to climb out of the slowly sinking ship, and Halt and Aldren helped the horses.

"Wait!" Bloise suddenly gasped after everyone was out. He leapt back onto the ship. "William's still in there!"

Crawling up to the captain's quarters, Bloise forced the small door open and yanked Crow Man out.

"Get on land," he ordered, pushing him towards the stone. Crow Man successfully climbed out of the ship and onto land, but alas Bloise didn't have the same luck as him.

The wooden planks beneath his feet collapsed, Bloise dropping into the water.

"Bloise!" Genevieve cried out as Halt jumped down to help him.

Bloise sunk into the water, his ears ringing. His eyes stung as he tried to swim up, but his foot had caught onto a broken plank. Running out of air, Bloise desperately wiggled his foot in every direction possible.

His vision started to become blurry, but a human figure swam down and helped him escape. Bloise coughed up water as he collapsed the land. "You're welcome," he croaked to Crow Man as his vision went back to normal. He nodded thanks to Halt as a shadow landed on the shore.

"That was not a great entrance."

They looked up to see a slender woman, who did not look impressed but rather annoyed at their sunken ship.

"Ah," Halt muttered, sighing at who came to greet them. "Rosemary Gableden."

A/N:

We're almost to the end!