Chapter 13

Gilan numbly nibbled at one of the pieces of bread that was thrown inside the small shed. A few days had passed, and no one else had been killed. Food and water came once a day, and every one of the kids had grown restless. Some worst than others.

Milo and Elaine stood against a wall watching Gilan in his corner. Elaine's eyebrows were furrowed together. Her gaze wandered off to Humphrey, who was sitting in the corner across from Gilan. He looked extra grumpy. Milo, suddenly stood up straight. "I'm going to talk to him."

Elaine turned and was about to protest, but Milo was already striding towards Gilan. He sat down next to him and didn't say a single word.

Gilan finished the slice of bread and slumped down. He didn't realize Milo was next to him. Gilan closed his eyes, but as soon as he did that, Milo spoke. "Hey."

Gilan turned, "Hey," he softly replied.

Milo observed Gilan from head to toe before continuing. "What did they do to you?" Gilan didn't reply and Milo stayed silent.

Both boys stayed before same position for many minutes before Milo finally continued. "We'll get out of this, you know?"

Gilan slowly shook his head. "There is no hope. No one's coming for us. And we cannot fight them."

Milo looked down. "Don't think that way," he whispered before standing and walking back over to Elaine.

"Well?"

"He's lost hope," Milo simply replied sitting down. He yawned. "He's getting worse by the day."

Elaine frowned and her eyes slowly trailed over to Gilan's frail body. She silently breathed, "It sure looks like it."

>>>------------->

The mist shrouded around him. The moon was barely visible, and the stars were veiled.

Gilan stood, unable to move in the dark space. Many different thoughts echoed through his head.

'No one cares about you.'
'Halt doesn't care.'
'Pain.'
'There is no hope.'
'You're going to die.'

Figureless monsters formed around him in the mist. He could sense them, but he couldn't see them.

Gilan screamed.

Invisible scars were formed. Invisible marks, pains, and fears.

Each time he screamed, the pain grew, but he couldn't stop screaming.

It was just too much.

>>>------------->

Gilan screamed, and was rewarded with a punch in the face. He gasped as he blinked his eyes opened.

Humphrey stood over him, his fist clenched. He looked annoyed. Very annoyed.

The other kids scrambled away from Humphrey and Gilan, and Elaine and Milo were trying very hard to fight back the crowd and get to them.

"Stop. The. Screaming." Humphrey growled going for another punch.

Gilan moaned and rolled over. He stood up and faced Humphrey. His wobbly legs kept threatening to collapse, but Gilan stayed upright.

"I am tired of you screaming every night," Humphrey growled as he threw another punch, causing Gilan to fall onto his back. "Not to mention how much you groan, toss, turn, and fidget."

Gilan gasped and made fists in his hand. He slowly stood. His eyes were red and dull, and his hair was very messy.

Humphrey beckoned Gilan to attack him, his eyes filled with irritation. Gilan clumsily lunged forward, but tackled air. Humphrey had slid to the side.  He started kicking Gilan.

Suddenly, Elaine burst forward, escaping the crowd. She pushed Humphrey away from Gilan with a grunt and gasped. Milo, wide eyed, went over to Gilan.

"Humphrey," Elaine hissed, "what do you think you're doing?"

Humphrey snarled. "I'm teaching him a lesson." Humphrey freed himself from Elaine, knocked Milo out of the way, and pulled Gilan up by the shirt.

Gilan braced himself as Humphrey swung him against the wall. He groaned. He weakly looked up as Humphrey stepped over him.

Gilan took a breath.

His training hadn't been forgotten.

With a cry, he threw himself at Humphrey, punching his hardest. Sweat poured down his face, and pain radiated through his blows.

Humphrey recoiled in surprise, but recovered quickly. He shoved Gilan back, but Elaine pulled him back from attacking once more.

"Stop it!" she yelled. "Just stop."

The rest of their words were unheard by Gilan. He slowly slid down against the wall, his legs giving out on him. Before he went limp, one thought formed in his head: I'm not good enough. I'm a failure.

A/N:

:)

Feedback to make the story better? Suggestions for plot?
Vote?
Comment?
Do whatever.

Oh, and another short chapter.