Epilogue

"Did I not tell you I had a natural talent?" Gilan asked Halt as he grinned.

It was the day of the yearly gathering, and Gilan had just received his assessment score. The sun was out and shining, the birds were chirping, and the breeze was cool. Halt groaned as he leaned back.

Gilan grinned. "Huh Halt? I'd like an answer." Gilan had received a perfect score for unseen movement, which caused Halt much trouble.

"Yes, you did," Halt sighed. "Here, just take it." He reached into his pocket and took out a bronze oakleaf.

Gilan widened his eyes as he fingered the oakleaf. It shined brightly in the setting sun. Gilan broke out into a huge smile as tackled Halt into a bear hug. "Thank you," he whispered, tears forming.

Halt softly smiled as he returned the hug. "You've earned it, Gilan," he murmured. "Catching up with your training after months of being away isn't easy to do."

Gilan didn't reply, staying in the hugging position. Halt stood there for a minute and looked down at his apprentice, a frown forming. "You can let go now."

Looking up, Gilan shook his head. "No." 

Halt glared at him as he worked on untangling himself. Once he succeeded, Gilan plopped himself down on the grass, gently stroking the necklace. It had felt like an eternity since he first started training. And yet, it didn't. 

Laying down, Gilan watched the stars. Finding the brightest one, he sadly smiled, being reminded of Elaine. He wondered if she was in a better place, if she graced his movements as well as Humphrey's and Milo's. Gilan missed her dearly, and he knew Humphrey missed her even more.

Humphrey. He was glad he stayed in Redmont, and he did indeed get accepted into battleschool. They met with each other at least once a week, and it never ceased to joy Gilan. His sisters lived in the orphanage with the wards, and Humphrey had made it known to Gilan that Zoey loved it, and Mia, well Mia hated it. For what reasons, Gilan did not know.

And then there was Milo. Dear, dear Milo. Gilan hadn't seen him in awhile, but they sent letters every month. Milo had become the apprentice of a scribe, which joyed Gilan very much. He knew how much he wanted to be one.

Gilan took a deep breath before placing the bronze oakleaf around his neck, letting it dangle to his chest. He stargazed for a few more minutes before his eyes shut.

There were no nightmares for him that night. Instead, his dreamed about his friends. He dreamed about being a ranger in his own fief.

Gilan dreamed about a bright future and a happy life.

The End