Chapter 17

Humphrey scratched his head of red hair. His brown eyes watched Crow Man standing up on his small stage over the heads of the others.

"PAIN! YEARNING! EMOTION! PEACE!"

Humphrey rolled his eyes at the usual chant Crow Man started. But he couldn't help to think that the voice was somewhat familiar to his past. He tilted his head. No, it can't be.

He shook his head as Crow Man continued.

"Today, we continue giving to our Goddess!" Crow Man raised his arms in the air before pointing at Humphrey. "Bring me the eldest!"

Humphrey stiffened. Yes, he was the oldest out of all the kids, but he couldn't go. He couldn't die. His sisters were depending on him.

He tried to fight back the purple-cloaked men, who grabbed him, but it was no use. He was pulled up onto the stage and was pushed onto his knees in front of Crow Man.

Grumpily and fearfully, Humphrey glanced up, having a clear view of Crow Man's face. His eyes widened slightly, and Crow Man's expression faltered for a second. No...

Humphrey looked away, his eyes burning with a sudden rage. Crow Man raised his whip, and Humphrey braced himself. He winced as the long weapon made impact.

The lashes continue and Humphrey stopped wincing. He dared to look up at Crow Man as he continued to beat him.

"Have you had enough yet?" Humphrey indignantly asked. Blood dripped down his arms, and his nose was badly bruised.

Crow Man paused. "Enough?" he looked up at his followers. "Have we had enough?"

"NO!" The crowd answered. "PAIN! YEARNING! EMOTION! PEACE! PAIN! YEARNING! EMOTION! PEACE!"

Crow Man wickedly grinned as he looked back down at Humphrey. "Nope. Not enough."

He resumed the beating and Humphrey showed almost no emotion. After awhile, Crow Man started to get bored.

He pulled out his knife, causing Humphrey to straighten himself.

"Go ahead," Humphrey growled. "Kill me. You'll kill two others by doing so."

Not paying much attention to Humphrey's words, Crow Man started to move his knife to Humphrey's heart. It got closer, and closer, and closer, and closer until it rea-

"STOP!" A voice cried out. "Stop."

Elaine pushed through the crowd and emerged at the front line. "Stop," she repeated. She looked around at the surroundings before continuing. "Why do you do this?" she confidently shouted at Crow Man. "Why do you kill innocent children?"

Without waiting for an answer, she turned to the members of the cult. "And you!" she yelled. "Why do you follow him?"

Tears stained Elaine's red eyes. "There is no reason for this massacre! None! So why is this all happening?"

Her voice echoed through the clearing. "Why?!"

Some of the members of the cult looked down at their feet, now hesitant about everything, Crow Man looked as he was about to burst, and the children were uncomfortably shifting.

No one answered Elaine, so she continued. Pulling Gilan out from the crowd, the tears started to run down her face. "This is just one of the effects of this treachery! People become cold, distant, and unwilling to live." She took a breath. "Everyone suffers because of you! Even yourself."

Elaine stopped speaking, and chaos broke out. The cult began to argue amongst each other, the kids shrunk back, Humphrey broke free of Crow Man's grasp, and Crow Man was in shock.

In the midst of everything, Gilan's dilated eyes slowly cleared. He slowly shook his head and wiggled his fingers. How am I alive?

He looked up and spun in a circle, taking in everything around him as his memory came back.

"Everyone," he shouted. "STOP!"

Everyone stopped. All eyes were on Gilan. Elaine's and Milo's eyes were the widest out of everyone's.

"Gilan?"

Gilan turned to face the two, his face serious and solemn. "I'm back," he softly murmured. "What did I miss?"

A/N:

I bet you are all overjoyed at this surprise, even if the chapter was short.

Any theories on what's been going on with *blurs out name of character or else spoiler would be given away.*

*coughs*

Anyways, stay tuned for next week. A surprise is coming!

Vote and comment!