Chapter 16

Milo leaned against a wall with his arms crossed, yawning, but he wasn't tired. His thoughts were whirling in his head, most were about what he had gotten himself into.

What have I got myself into? Will we ever escape? What is the purpose of the Amethyst Order?

Milo was certain that he wouldn't live any longer. He was weak. Much weaker than everyone else. He was a lowly peasant, who could never fulfill his dreams. But then, it was probably for the best. His dreams were stupid.

He snapped out of his thoughts as Gilan jerked awake. He tilted his head and turned to face him."Gilan?" he softly called, not wanting to wake the sleeping figures around him.

Gilan sat up and looked around, his gaze stopping at Milo. It was like he didn't know where and who he was.

Milo's heart dropped down at Gilan's dull expression. Something had definitely changed. His usual eyes of a midwinter's sky were dull. His sandy, buttermilk blond hair was messy and fell over his eyes.

"Gilan?" Milo repeated, stepping forward.

"G-get away from me!" Gilan scrambled back, away from him.

"I am not going to hurt you, Gilan," Milo pushed.

"Don't come a-any closer!"

Milo bit his lip and stepped back, unsure of what to do. Thinking for a moment, he decided that it would be best if Gilan was left alone.

He went back to his original position and sighed. He took a seat and closed his eyes. It was painful to see Gilan in his current state of mind. Milo had felt a strong bond of fellowship and understanding from when he first met him. It hurt to see the cheerful and funny demeanor of a young man diminish, even if he had only know that man for a few days.

Slowly falling into a deep sleep, Milo felt a single tear run down his dirty, tired face.

>>>------------->

Elaine laid quietly on the rotting wood of the little cottage. She felt guilty of everything that had taken place ever since she met the other kids. She knew in the back of her mind that it wasn't her fault, but she couldn't help it.

She felt responsible for everyone. Everyone's feelings, everyone's actions, and definitely everyone's fate.

Tears formed in her leafy emerald green eyes as she turned to look at Gilan. The tears started to fall. She shared the same connection with him as Milo. But then, it hurt when anyone was hurt- even the enemy side.

She slowly sat up, letting her rich brown hair fall down to her shoulders and cover one of her eyes. She looked around at everyone of the twenty-no, nineteen kids.

It was torturing to even just look at them. She didn't understand. It wasn't her fault! It wasn't anyone's fault! The only fault there was, were the doings of the cult.

Elaine breathed deeply, reaching up to tie her hair into a ponytail. She wiped her tears using the back of her hand. Standing up, Elaine spun in a circle, taking a glance at everyone. Her heart yearned to do something to help ease the pain of the children around her. But what?

There was nothing she could do.
Nothing.

Hugging herself, Elaine silently, mindlessly paced around, careful of the sleeping bodies around her.

In her troubled mind, a plan began to piece together. She was done.

She was done with sitting around. She was done being caged. They were going to escape, and she'll be sure of it.

>>>------------->

Humphrey laid against a wall, his eyes staring up at the ceiling. His knuckles bled from his outburst at the boy, Gilan.

He knew that he should help the girl, Elaine, and the boy, Milo, recover Gilan's spirit or at least apologize, but he doubt that they would allow it.

He internally sighed, shaking his head slowly, refusing to show any weakness.
No emotion.
No feelings.

He had to. He was forced to. He had to stay strong.

Day and night, his thoughts lingered on one. His two younger sisters.

Humphrey frowned and covered his face in his hands. Now that he was captured, they only had each other.

Their mother had died, presumably from an illness. But Humphrey knew that it was a lie. She was murdered. He knew it in his heart.

Their father had mysteriously disappeared. There was no trace of him except for the fact that all his belongings were gone. Humphrey vowed to kill him for the suffering his family had underwent from his disappearance. He had just straight up left with no word.

Sighing, Humphrey slumped down wondering how his siblings were doing. Horribly, he guessed, since he was the one who hunted, cooked, and comforted them, encouraging the two to not give up.

"Don't lose hope," he silently whispered. "I'll find a way back."

>>>------------->

The only light in the large tent in the center of the clearing was the faint, eerie candle.

Crow Man stood tall and stoically behind the candle. The cowl of his deep purple cloak was pulled back, revealing his shoulder length, fire red hair, beard, and cinnamon brown eyes.

He stared into the flickering flame of the candle, deep in thought. His hand was fingering a sharp, cold object in his pocket. Crow Man pulled it out and turned it, making it so the candlelight hits it.

It was an amethyst, his favorite gemstone. The stone was the only thing keeping him up. The only thing preventing him to break down.

It reminded him of his name, his purpose, and the Goddess. The Goddess he had honored for so long.

"William Brown," he murmured to himself, saying his true name, before looking up slowly to see a beautiful woman form from the mist.

She wore a long blue dress with a purple robe. Her black hair flowed down and reached the middle of her back. Her face was filled with anger, but she was still beautiful.

"Brown," her surprisingly booming voice lashed out.

"Milady!" Crow Man cried as he bowed. "What pleasure do I owe you for blessing me with your presence?"

The woman narrowed her. "No, not pleasure. You owe me your life."

"No, please!" Crow Man gasped falling onto his knees. "Give me one more chance, dear Goddess, to prove that I'm worthy."

The woman said nothing, but faded into the mist she was before. "RAPHAEL!" Crow Man yelled, his voice echoing through the morning air. "Round up the kids. We're having another beating."

A/N:

Figured it was about time you got to know our characters a bit better.

So? What'd you think?