Chapter 36

A week had passed, and Crow Man was gone. The family members of the children were finally here. Genevieve sat in front of a table next to Rosemary and Exavier in a room that was bustling with parents and siblings waiting in a line to sign their names on a slip of paper.

"Thank you very much," Genevieve said to a married couple after they signed their names and their child's name. "Remember to be in the throne room at noon. The children will be there."

The married couple left, and Genevieve came face to face with Aldren. "Al?" she questioned, wondering what he was doing in the line. "What are you doing here?"

Aldren sighed as he picked up a quill. "Signing my name," he replied. "Just because I haven't seen her doesn't mean she's dead."

Genevieve sadly looked down at the names. "It's a small chance, Aldren. Barely one percent."

Aldren looked up at Genevieve. "I know," he whispered. "I know, Gene." With that, Aldren stalked away, probably out to the gardens for the peace and quiet.

Gene sighed as two girls approached, signing their names on a parchment as she passed Aldren's name over to Rosemary, who rewrote it on a list before passing it to Exavier, who searched for the person's file from the stack of paper's Crowley had brought over from Castle Araluen. "Everything doing alright?" Genevieve asked, passing another paper to Rosemary.

"Mmhmm," came Rosemary's reply, and Exavier said nothing. Genevieve frowned at their lack of words before speaking to the girls and going back to work.

>>>------------->

Exavier stood next to Rosemary in the throne room. The children were behind them, and the family members in front. Everyone was anxious for when they would reunite, but neither Exavier nor Rosemary were excited.

"What time is it?" Rosemary quietly asked after a moment.

"A few more minutes before noon." Exavier grunted.

Rosemary sighed as she waited. "Can we not start early?"

"No," Exavier muttered. "I planned for noon. We start at noon."

"But everyone's here," Rosemary argued. "They would be glad to start now."

Exavier glanced at Rosemary in annoyance, but she didn't take notice. Instead she cleared her throat and raised her voice. "If everyone can quiet down, we can start."

The families quieted down and stared at the courier and scribe. Exavier inwardly sighed but did nothing. He glumly watched as Rosemary started speaking.

"I'm sure everyone would like to see their children or siblings, but first I would like to state some ground rules to get this done orderly and peacefully.

"Number one. When we call your name, please step forward and meet with your child. This is so that there is no confusion." she paused. "Actually that is all the ru-"

"Rule number two," Exavier interrupted. "Not all of the children are present. I would thoroughly advise you not to make a big fuss until the end. Thank you, let's get started."

Rosemary blinked and nodded. Looking at her list, she spoke the names. "Gabe and Lottie Wood of Trelleth fief and their child Jane."

The parents stepped out into the small open space available, and Jane, a nine year old, pushed her way through the crowd. "Mama! Papa!" she squeaked, running to her parents, eyes shining with tears.

The family embraced before retreating back, so that others can be reunited.

A few more names were called before a familiar name sounded. "Aldren NightBrew and his sister Alyssa."