Chapter 2

"Bucket. Mop. Floor. River. Rug. Pots." Halt pointed at the objects he named.

Gilan groaned at the many chores Halt had given before pointing out the tools. He absolutely hated them.

"Are you still here?" Halt asked reading a report.

"Nope." Gilan called over his shoulder as he grudgingly went out into the cold winter wind.

He shivered as he grabbed a bucket and started for the river. "Rangers aren't suppose to do chores." Gilan muttered. "They're suppose to enforce the law and keep threats out."

It took Gilan around 30 buckets of water to fill up a tub. He then went inside and mopped the wood floor. That didn't take very long. Gilan sighed as he had to go back out and wash all of Halt's pots and pans.

Gilan slacked off on the pots and pans causing Halt to make him do it all over. "Back to the river, boy!" Halt ordered. "I want those shiny."

Gilan groaned and sluggishly carried all the pots and pans back to the river. This time, he scrubbed them so hard that he could see his reflection really clearly.

After carrying all of the pots back, Gilan had to beat the rug. He dragged the rug out and started to swing it back and forth, letting the dust fly. He coughed as some of the dust went to him.

It seemed like to Gilan, that Halt had an endless supply of chores. He had always seemed to find new ones. Chopping fire wood, repairing a broken chair that Halt had broken on purpose, and many more.

After what seemed like a lifetime, Halt called a stop to the chores. "It is time for me to teach you how to cook properly."

Gilan winced, remembering last night's scene. Halt started to teach Gilan everything about cooking. How to cut vegetables, how much seasoning you should put, what and when to put something in, and most importantly, how to make coffee.

After dinner, Halt presented to Gilan, a Ranger's cloak. Gilan's eyes lit up for the first time in the day, and listened to Halt explain the mottled colors.

"The different colors help break up your body making it look like you are disappearing and reappearing. This flap," Halt lifted up a weird looking flap on the side on the cloak, "is for your quiver when you learn how to shoot a bow." Gilan nodded as Halt gave him the cloak.

He excitedly went into his room, and hanged his cloak up on the curtained door.

Gilan found it hard to sleep and he felt as if he only got a blink of sleep, as for when he finally closed his eyes, Halt's loud voice was upon him.

"Get up!" Halt loudly yelled. Gilan eyes snapped open to find Halt standing over him.

"Yes, Halt?" Gilan murmured.

"Grab your sword and cloak, we're going to the castle."

With that, Halt left the room going to get his morning coffee. Gilan moaned as he pulled his green tunic over his undershirt. He slipped inside his cloak, and strapped his sword on his waist.

"Where are we going?" Gilan asked as he stepped out.

Halt raised an eyebrow, "I told you already. The castle."

"Oh."

Halt sighed. "Apprentices." He raised his voice. "Let's go."

Gilan followed Halt out and watched him mount Abelard. "You're running." Halt announced as Abelard started to trot towards Wensley village.

Gilan groaned, but before Halt could get to far away, he started to jog after him.

Soon enough, the two arrived at Wensley village, where Halt allowed Gilan to walk since the citizens were already hustling to work.

Someone was waiting for them next to a path near Castle Redmont. Halt dismounted Abelard and went up to the man garbed in armor.

"Halt." The man nodded.

"Rodney," Halt replied. He looked back at Gilan. "Gilan, this is Sir Rodney, the Battlemaster here at Redmont." He looked back at Rodney. "Rodney, this is Gilan, my apprentice."
Sir Rodney grinned and shook Gilan's hand. "How're you faring? I hear that your mentor is very grumpy."

Gilan smiled. "He is."

Halt raised an eyebrow. "Gilan, I have already told you that you will be going to Caraway every 2 weeks to get lessons with your sword. Between those 2 weeks, you will be training with Sir Rodney."

Gilan nodded. "When are we starting?"

"Today." Rodney answered. "Let's see what you know."

A/N:

I seem to have a knack writing short chapters for this book.

Criticism? Good and bad please. I won't be discouraged.