Chapter 3

"You were seeing that boy again, weren't you?" Spiller asked Arrietty authoritatively.

They were heading back to their small village under the old mansion from Arrietty and Sho's meetup. Spiller has also a good sense of confrontation and doesn't hold back. Although he's like this, he values privacy, and secrecy, really well. He only confronted Arrietty when nobody else was listening.

Arrietty suddenly stopped walking and turned around to face his authoritative friend.

"Spiller..."

"That look on your face. It means positive. Look, I may have confessed my feelings to you, but when I can sense a threat to us, to our kind, even if it's precious to you, I won't hold back. I already warned you a long time ago to cut your connection with that boy. I..."

"BUT I LOVE HIM!!!"

SILENCE.

It took a while before Spiller could respond to what Arrietty said, although he knew her feelings already.

"I know..." Spiller said in a low tone.

"Spiller, I..."

"You don't have to say sorry. I know how you feel towards that human boy. All I want Arrietty is for you to stop seeing that boy. Cut your connection with a human. You have to accept our fate. We are not humans. We are Borrowers. A human and a Borrower cannot be together, like it or not."

"I know. I fully understand our purpose in this world. But is it wrong to love?"

Spiller couldn't counter that. At some point, Arrietty's question makes sense.

"Sho is the only human who tried to talk to someone like me. I found him as a threat at first of course. But when he helped me saved my mother and opened my mind to the possibility of kindness in humans, I started to like Sho."

Spiller only frowned at Arrietty and couldn't help at closing his right hand into a fist. He was angry.

"Why him?!" Spiller couldn't help but shout at Arrietty.

Arrietty, on the other hand, was surprised by his reaction.

"Why not a Borrower like me?!"

Arrietty felt Spiller's jealousy at that moment

Arrietty felt Spiller's jealousy at that moment. She doesn't know how to react to it.

Spiller then turned his back to Arrietty to hide his tears. He doesn't want to let her see him crying because it would mean he's weak. But Arrietty already knew he's hiding his tears.

When Spiller recovered, he faced her again.

"How did he find you?" Spiller now was calmer.

Arrietty only looked down because she doesn't want to let him know that she visited Sho's place again.

"Arrietty, at least, let me know how you led him here. I'm the only Borrower who knows about you and Sho."

Arrietty was hesitant, but she knew Spiller was right. He has the right to know how Sho knew their new place.

"I visited Sho's house days after we moved here."

"You what?!"

"I only went there to get some things we left behind, important ones."

"Such as?!"

Arrietty couldn't say anything. She knew within herself that she only wanted to check out things and probably leave some hints to Sho so he can find her.

"Arrietty, don't do things you'll regret in the end. You should have realized how dangerous it was! You're just lucky no one noticed you. Why are you so stubborn?! Is that how that boy influenced you? To become so stubborn?!"

Arrietty couldn't take it anymore. Spiller was a bit going overboard.

"Please stop being so jealous!"

Spiller suddenly went silent. She, on the other hand, was surprised with what she said. But she didn't want to take it back because that's what is in her mind after all. Arrietty decided to express what she really felt too, since she already started it.

"Is it really wrong to love someone? Is it wrong to be happy with the person you love?"

Spiller looked away, controlling his tears to run down again and closing both hands into fists this time.

"I know I am being stubborn, and I even disobey my parents. But I am being careful all the time because I know the danger of our existence. And the more I think about the danger I will face when I see him, the more I want to love him and care for him. It's like giving me more strength to not just survive but live. Is it really wrong to want happiness and live?"

Spiller couldn't counter that again. He concludes that Arrietty is deeply in love with Sho. It's a connection or a bond that doesn't easily break. And he knows pretty well how strong a connection or a bond can become.

After a long pause, Spiller finally said something.

"It's not wrong to love at all. We show love to our parents, friends, siblings, and even our significant other. And it's a good feeling." Spiller said in a calmer voice.

Arrietty's heart was breaking when he saw Spiller smiling painfully while his tears run down his cheeks and continued talking.

"The only thing that's wrong is loving the wrong person."

Tears started to run down Arrietty's cheeks after hearing this. She understood what Spiller was trying to say.

"I guess I couldn't say anything anymore to stop you from loving that human boy. It's true that once you love someone, it does not easily fall off. So I hope you understand why I keep on stopping you from seeing that boy, even if I know your true feelings for him."

Spiller then released a deep sigh.

"I guess that's it for me then."

Arrietty was just crying silently. Spiller's words were true, and it breaks her heart. Spiller then wiped his tears and started walking past her. He stopped at some distance where their backs were facing and turned his head a little to say something.

"Please be safe always Arrietty."

Arrietty couldn't say any words anymore because she was drowning in tears.