Chapter 4

Author's Note:
Hey, guys! I'm sorry for the very long break. I honestly didn't have much inspiration after I wrote the first few chapters. That's why I didn't update it. But, when I checked this back a few days ago, I was not expecting this much love from you, so I decided to continue it. Thank you so much for all your support. I will continue to break your heart! (Lol! 😂)

Anyway, thank you again! I love you all! ❤️😘💋💕
================================

It's so quiet.

Arrietty was standing outside of the old mansion, ready to go somewhere. She was looking at the moon above that was silently reflecting anything under it. She could not hear even the sound of the crickets.

The lawn in front of the mansion was so vast that she would need time to run across it before reaching the front gate. However, unlike Sho's lawn, theirs were carefully maintained by the human gardener. So, tall grasses are not present.

This will give Borrowers a significant advantage to travel across the lawn easily and smoothly, in and out of the premises. The only disadvantage is they will be seen easily by humans and other animals. So, they have to cross the lawn during night time.

Before she would start crossing the lawn to reach the front gate, she inhaled a good amount of air and then released it. She's now ready to meet Sho.

Arrietty then ran across the enormous lawn of the old mansion, being careful and alert of enemies like frogs. For the past two years, Arrietty and her father already got the hang of traveling from places to places, neighboring houses, to borrow. They need to switch places to borrow because there are many of them in just one location. This is an effective strategy Spiller taught the Borrowers to survive.

"We should avoid getting caught by the owners of the mansion. This is the golden rule."

Arrietty remembered clearly when Spiller told them this. Right now, she doesn't want to cause more problems because she is already having one. Arrietty's main priority, aside from borrowing, is to not get caught by her fellow Borrowers if she wants to see Sho.

She started to take real careful, huge steps across the lawn, staying vigilant on her surroundings.

She's already halfway in crossing the lawn when she spotted a frog at a distance. She stopped moving and hid herself in the grass while observing the frog's movements.

Arrietty slowly held her wooden spear that Spiller designed for hunting, while her heart was beating really fast, and she's sweating quickly

Arrietty slowly held her wooden spear that Spiller designed for hunting, while her heart was beating really fast, and she's sweating quickly. She's now in a survival situation that would tell if she can still see Sho and her fellow Borrowers again or not.

She felt like her heartbeat stopped when the frog that was at a distant point was looking at her direction. The fear of dying run down her veins, and she felt like it was her last moment on Earth.

Arrietty's Borrower nature of accepting death also suddenly filled her at that moment. She couldn't stop talking in the air, like it was her last words.

"I've lived my life like I want it to, and I'm happy I got the chance to meet a human who cares for Borrower like me. I'm sorry Mom, Dad, Spiller, and everyone. But, it's now or never."

The frog then ready itself like it was about to attack her, and Arrietty was already expecting it. She positioned herself like she was ready to hunt the frog as well that was going to attack her.

The frog then started to hop and move towards her, and Arrietty was really nervous and cold holding her spear, pointing to the frog.

When the animal took the last hop to reach her, she couldn't move from her position. She knew if she does not do anything, she will end up in the frog's stomach. But, her body did not cooperate.

Arrietty only closed her eyes while still holding the spear, grasping for strength. She started to cry because she knew she's going to die.

BLOOD.

Blood was all over the area, and Arrietty couldn't move. She felt really weak. She looked at the surroundings, and she saw Spiller's back.

Wait! Spiller?

Spiller was standing and also covered with blood, and she finally saw the frog lying on the ground. Spiller then turned around to look at her, but his face was filled with anger and disappointment.

Spiller, not even bothered by the blood all over him, did not say anything and just stared at her. Arrietty then composed herself and stood firmly, looking at Spiller.

She wanted to apologize for what happened, but she struggled to say the words she wanted to say.

"I'm... I'm sorry."

"You should!"

Arrietty was shocked by Spiller's very angry tone. She couldn't say anything anymore.

"Arrietty, what if I did not make in time? We'll be looking all over for you by tomorrow, and we won't have any clue of what happened to you."

"I'm sorry. I was really careful. But..."

"But, you couldn't do anything, and you only froze. You're dead Arrietty if I wasn't here. Have you even thought of how your parents would feel if you're dead?!"

Arrietty couldn't counter that. Spiller was right. She was acting a little selfish.

"I won't stop you anymore. Go wherever you are planning to go! But, remember what happened to you here."

She felt mixed emotions, fear, guilt, disappointment with herself, anger towards her and Spiller.

Spiller then grabbed the frog and walked away.

Why does it feel like we weren't meant to be together in the first place, Sho? Why is it even hard to see you?

Felt ashamed and guilty with what happened, Arrietty decided to go back and postponed her trip. 

It's probably not the time yet to see Sho again.