Chapter 3.

2 months later.

" And the name of the last candidate for the scholarship to the Columbian University is....."

I continued to pray to God to let me be the last candidate.

"MELISSA DAVIS."

As soon as the last name was announced the whole gym erupted in cheers. There was a loud round of applause. Every single student was clapping and cheering. I slowly opened my eyes and stared at my friends in disbelief. Mia and Ryan ushered me to go and join the other candidates on the podium. I slowly got up from where I sat and slowly walked towards the others with shaky legs, my legs felt like jelly and it seemed that they would give up any moment. I shook hands with the principal once I reached the podium and stood beside one of the students.

I still can't believe that I have been selected. I just hope that this is not just a beautiful dream.

"WE NEED TO CELEBRATE" Mia yelled out at the top of her lungs, scaring the students who were passing by. I just gave them an apologetic look and turned to face my best friends who were going hysteric.
"Calm down guys"  I tried to calm them down but they were having none of it.
"Listen here, you young lady, you are going to treat us with your heavenly delicious cupcakes of yours and we are not taking a no for an answer!" Ryan exclaimed dramatically. What will I do with these two?

"Okay fine, come around at 5 this evening, I will have enough time to bake my special Choco chip cookies and salted caramel chocolate cupcake," I said.

"We'll be there without a second to spare," Ryan mused out while mocking a salute.

************

"Is the work done?" the tall man asked huskily.

"Yes Sir it's done," the other man answered, his voice slightly trembling due to the presence of the tall man.

"Get out now," he said harshly. The other man bowed slightly and scurried off without any further delay.

"Soon, Tesoro, pretty soon," the man whispered to himself while staring at the picture of the young girl in his phone.

*********

"Here are your delicious cupcakes my lord and my lady," I said trying to imitate the posh British accent. "Don't try to do that again, you suck at this," Ryan said with a horrified expression sketched on his face. I just rolled my eyes at his melodramatic behavior. He is such a drama queen. 

"Stop being a narcissist" Mia hissed at him. And they started bickering at each other.

Here we go again.

I just rolled my eyes once again at their childish behavior. I continued to stare at them bickering and soon enough they were pulling each other's hair off. Okay if I don't stop them, they are probably gonna end up killing each other.

"Guys, are you going to eat or should I put them away for other customers," my voice suddenly seemed to knock some sense into them and they quickly covered the cupcakes with their hands in a protective stance as if to protect them from me and gave me a murderous look. After reassuring them for a while that I will not even touch their cupcakes and then they started to devour my cupcakes.

I took a seat to the side of their table as they were sitting at the right table which was right next to the window and just stared at them while they were busy wolfing down the food.

What would I do without them? I thought to myself trying to suppress my smile.

"You got selected?" My dad asked once again in disbelief.

"Yes dad," I replied to him with a small smile.

"Oh sweety I'm so happy for you," he said and hugged me once again.

"Thanks, Dad," I said slowly breaking out of his hug.

Fathers and their hugs.

"We're so proud of you honey," mom said whilst coming out of the kitchen.

"We need to celebrate," dad declared.

"Let's host a party," my mom suggested.

"No mom, you don't have to" I started but was cut off in the middle.

"It will just be a small get-together," mom said, trying to convince me. And I finally gave in. How could you even say no to your mom when she just wants to celebrate your success.

"Can I invite Mia and Ryan?" I asked.

"Of course Mel," dad said.

It was already ten in the night so I wished good night to my parents and went upstairs.

"Is it a party?" Mia asked through the computer screen.

"Kind off," I said, unsure of the exact term.

"Will there be alcohol?" Ryan asked through my computer screen.

"Hell no," exclaimed out a horrified expression on my face.

"Geez, I was just kidding," Ryan exclaimed.

I glanced at my clock placed on my bedside table and realized that it was midnight twelve and I have been on conference video chat with them for the last 2 hours.

"Okay guys it's already twelve I need to get some sleep if I don't want to look like a walking zombie tomorrow," I said.

"You're such a party pooper, Mel," Ryan groaned out and I stick out my tongue at his expression.
"Okay Mel good night sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite," Mia sang.
I just laughed at her horrible voice and shut off my laptop and put it aside. I then laid down and pulled over my comforter waiting for the sleep to take over me.

I slept soundly that night oblivious to the fact that my every move was being observed.