Chapter 6.

We continued to stare at each other. Our staring competition must have been going for about 5 minutes now.

Finally, I decided that it's enough and broke our intense eye contact.
"Do you need help with that?" He asked me. Unable to form any verbal reply I just nodded my head in response. I stepped aside so that he can do the work. Our forearms brushed slightly and I swear that I heard a sharp intake of breath. I must be hearing things due to the exhaustion caused by the long train ride.

"Do you have the password?" he asked while turning to face me. "What password?" I asked him not being able to properly comprehend the words that came out of his mouth. "The apartment has two locks, one will be opened with a key and the other one is high tech digital one which will get opened by a password." He said.
"The receptionist didn't say anything about the digital lock system," I replied timidly like a child who just got caught while stealing cookies.
"I see." That was all he said.
"Then, let me call my technician so that he can help you in resetting the password. It will take some time though. Until then why don't you come to my penthouse and wait for his arrival." he suggested.
"But I don't know you, Sir," I replied nervously.
"Oh, where are my manners. I'm Norman Blackford. A pleasure to meet you." He extended his hand towards me. I slowly put my hand on his and shook his hand and said. "I'm Melissa Davis. Nice to meet you too."

His grip was quite strong. But the creepy thing was that he did not let go of my hand even though the handshake was officially over a minute ago.
"Mr. Blackford, my hand," I said and he finally comes out of some kind of trance.
"Oh..um... Yeah." He said and finally, let go of my hand.
Wow, his hand was pretty big and warm in comparison to my small ones. My hands feel so cold now.
He turned and started walking away. When he realized that I'm not following him, he stopped and turned back.
"Aren't you coming?" He asked me.
"What about my luggage?" I asked him. "Just leave it here." He said. I gave him an unsure look. "Trust me, it will be totally safe here." He said. I finally gave in and followed behind him, leaving behind my luggage in front of my new apartment. My whole body is aching with pain. All I wanted to do now is go down and lay in my bed all day long but due to that so-called high-tech security I have to wait for God knows how many hours?
He quickly put on a code on the keypad and the door opened by itself and he walked inside. I was walking at a fast pace to keep up with him.

"Alexio." He shouted for someone.
A young man who seemed to be in his early twenties rushed out of the inside of the house. He was in a black suit and he walked confidently like a predator.
"Yes sir." He said as he stood in front of Mr. Blackford.
"Bring some refreshments for Miss Davis here." He said to him.
Alexio immediately walked inside what I presume is the kitchen.
Then Mr. Blackford turned towards me. "Please, make yourself at home, while I make some calls regarding your situation." He said. I just nodded and sat down as he whether inside a room.

His place was all sleek and classy. The whole theme was either black, grey, and white. Black and grey couches, glass center table, an enormous flat-screen hanging on the wall, the usual expensive things that you would find in a billionaire's living room.

My train of thoughts came to a halt when Alexio entered with a tray in his hands. He placed the tray on the table and handed me the glass of orange juice. I slowly brought the glass near my mouth and took a sip. He was still standing there. So I did the most obvious thing, I tried to ease the tension in the air with a small conversation.

"So.... you work for Mr. Blackford, Mr. Alexio?" I asked. "Yes, Ma'm. I'm his butler," he said.

"Okay," I said slowly. "So, how long have you been working for Mr. Blackford, Mr. Alexio?" I asked another question.
"Almost 6 years now, Miss and please call me Alexio." He said.
I nodded and gave him a small smile. Just then Mr. Blackford emerged from inside his room whilst talking on his phone. When he reached us, he ended the call and turned to Alexio.

"Alexio, coffee, black," he said. "Right away, Sir," Alexio said and dashed into the kitchen. He took a seat in front of me and released a breath and undid the first button of his coat. A question that has been in the back of my mind for days surfaced once again and I have to get the answer even if it kills me in the end.

"You're the same guy, who came into my bakery that day, months ago," I started slowly. He just smiled at this and replied. "I'm surprised that you even remember me, Amore."
"Jacksonville's a pretty small town, almost everyone knows each other, you were the odd one out there at that time," I said with an unsure smile.
"I was there to meet someone." He said.
Who is that person? I decided not to ask that question and keep my curiosity to myself this time because I definitely do not want to be thrown out of the apartment.
"Anyways, the technician will be here in 15 minutes and then you will be able to take some rest in your new home." He said.
"I'm very grateful for your kindness Mr. Blackford," I said and I actually meant what I said.
"It's no problem Mio amore and please call me Norman." He said.
Oh my God! Are we on a first-name basis already? Don't behave like Mel. You need to be composed.
"Norman." I tasted out his name and u swear I heard that sharp intake of breath once again.

His name felt so foreign in my tongue but somehow it also felt so right.