Chapter 18.

My eyes looked onto the fresh-cut roses

My eyes looked onto the fresh-cut roses. They were a beautiful shade of red. Their aroma was entrancing as it filled up the living room with its scent.

I jumped when I felt a hand resting on my shoulder, I looked up and saw Mia with an unknown emotion crossed on her face. She took a seat next to me on the couch and slowly took the piece of paper from my hand. Her eyes skimmed over each and every word written in beautiful cursive writing on the white paper.

My mind went back to the words written on it.

My dear Melissa,

I want to invite you over dinner at my place. I won't take no for an answer.

I will pick you up from your place at 7 pm sharp. Don't be late. I hate tardiness darling.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Yours forever,

Norman

p.s. wear the dress and shoes that I got for you.

"It doesn't look like he's giving you a choice," Mia finally said after re-reading the letter for what seemed like the hundredth time.

"So, what are you going to do?" Ryan finally asked breaking the wall of silence.

"I don't know," I said with a defeated sigh as I looked down at my shoes as if there is something interesting in my shoes.

"You can say no-" Ryan started but Mia was quick to cut him off.

"And do you think he will take that, you can clearly see that in this letter. He had stated in bold letters that he will not take no for an answer," Mia said emphasizing every single word that was written on the letter as she waved the note in the air.

"I will go," I said my voice all shaky and nervous. I don't even know why I'm scared or nervous, it's just a simple dinner.

Yeah, as simple dinner with the most eligible bachelor in the whole country.

"It's a simple dinner, what could possibly go wrong," I said.

"Ok then, I will do your makeup and hair," Mia said clapping her hands, suddenly becoming all cheery and full of sunshine.

Sometimes, I seriously think that this girl has some kind of obsession with dressing me up like a doll.

"Ok, so it's 3 in the afternoon, we still have around four hours to get you ready," Mia said cheerfully.

"That's right we still have four hours and I'm going to sleep now. Wake me up after two hours," I said while making my way to my bedroom without waiting for their replies.

As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light.

"Nope, I'm not going to apply all these things," I declared as soon as I saw all those fake lashes she was holding.

"But," she protested.

"No buts, I want to go with a natural look," I said and started applying a little bit of concealer, eyeliner, and lip balm. I tied up my hair in a simple neat ponytail and put on the dress that Norman gave me.

I gasped at once when I saw myself in that dress. It had to be the most beautiful thing I have ever adorned myself within my almost 18 years of existence. The dress was breathtakingly beautiful and maybe expensive too.

What am I even saying? It has to be expensive if it comes from Norman Blackford, the most eligible bachelor in New York City and perhaps the whole of North America. The 22-year-old self-made billionaire who built his company from scratch, who also rumored to have ties with one of the oldest crime syndicates in the world.

"Tiger, there is someone at the door for you," Ryan said while appearing at the doorway of my bedroom.

I broke away from my chain of thoughts and turned to look at him.

"Wow, you look, beautiful tiger," Ryan said as he made his way towards us.

"Doesn't she?" Mia retorted to him as she beamed at me.

"I can't believe my girl is all grown up now," she joked as she wiped those imaginary tears from her eyes.

"Ok now, jokes aside, your phone?" He asked.

"Has full charge with 911, yours and Mia's numbers on speed dials," I said.

"Cash?"

"Enough to hail a cab home," I replied, mentally going through all the rules that Ryan has made me memorize.

"And no funny business," he said with a grave tone and I nodded my head like an obedient child.

He seriously is acting like my dad now.

"And one last thing, I want you to have this," he said while taking out a foldable pocket knife.

"But why?" I asked him dumbfounded.

"If something happens, I want you to be able to defend yourself till help arrives," he said. I nodded my head once again unable to say anything.

"C'mon, he's waiting for you at the door," Ryan said as he pulled me out of my room and towards the living room.

When I got there I was surprised to see Alexio waiting there instead. I was perplexed to see him standing in the middle of my living room in place of Norman.

"Alexio?" I called out questioningly.

He turned to face me and quickly bowed lightly while greeting me, "Good evening Madam, you look beautiful tonight."

"Thank you Alexio, but where is..." I started off but he was quick to answer me.

"Ma'am, Mr. Blackford is waiting for you at the venue. He personally wanted to look over all the arrangements so he ordered me to escort you," he said.

"Oh."

"Shall we go now Ma'am, Master Blackford will be waiting for us," he said as waited for me at the door.

"Yeah, let's go," I said as we made our way down.

When we reached the parking lot, a shiny black Audi R8 was already waiting for us there. He opened the back seat door for me and patiently waited for me to get in before closing the door behind me. He got in the driver's seat and we started driving off towards our destination.

'I don't know what tonight will bring but the only thing that I can do is hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.' I thought to myself as I unconsciously tightened my hold around my clutch which held the pocket knife.