Chapter 12.

"Surprise," dozens of voices shouted together as soon as the lights illuminated the living room. I was unable to move and stood frozen at my place, a small gasp escaped through my slightly parted lips as I took in the sight in front of me. The scene in front of me left me completely speechless and dumbfounded.

There stood in front of him were Niel Watts, Vince D'costa, Hadley Drew, Ken Stuart and of course Mia and Ryan and......Alexio and Miss Kate Wilson. I can understand the presence of my friends but I never expected Alexio and Miss Wilson to be there.

"Happy birthday Mel," they all but shouted simultaneously.

And the only word that escaped from my mouth was "wow."

"Guys.......... I can't believe it," I gasped out once again, still trying to take in everything.

"How can we miss out on your 17th birthday, you are almost an adult, maybe we don't have to babysit you anymore," Ryan teased me.

Mia slapped Ryan on the back of his head on this and Ryan let out a loud groan which made all of us erupt into a fit of laughter.

I once again scanned the entire room, and I was astonished by the fact that they were able to do this much in such a limited time. The living room was decorated with fairy lights and balloons were hanging from every corner of the room and numerous balloons were sprawled across the floor and a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY sign was hanging from the ceiling. Everything looked perfect.

"It's the cake cutting time, now let the birthday girl cut her cake," Miss Kate cheered and at the same time, Alexio walked out of the room with a heart-shaped chocolate cake in his hands.

"Did you baked it?" I asked him, my mouth wide open in surprise.

"Actually Miss Mia baked it, I only helped her decorate it," Alexio admitted and that surprised me even more. Mia can't even bake to save her life and the fact that she managed to bake a cake is completely unbelievable.

"How did you do that?" I asked her.

"I asked your mum, she was quite descriptive," Mia shrugged her shoulder casually.

"Now c'mon let's cut it," Vince insisted.

I blew the candle while everyone sang the Happy Birthday song. I cut one piece of the cake and held it out for Mia to eat and then did the same with Ryan and the others. And then they all took turns in feeding me or more like smearing the cake on my face. By the time the cake was finished, my whole face and part of my hair were covered with frosting, and loads of pictures were snapped, which I'm pretty sure is going to end up being uploaded on Facebook or something.

"Now it's the gifts opening time," Hadley cheered as she pulled out a gift from her bag and handed it to me. I opened it and saw that it's a beautiful galaxy-themed iPhone 7 case and I totally fell in love with it. I took out my phone and replaced the old case with a new one and it went well with my phone. "Thank you so much, Hadley," I said.

"Now my turn, Ryan cheered and handed me a small shoe-size rectangular box. I opened it and saw that it was pink clothe, I held it out in front of me to examine it properly and realized that it was a pink shirt where 'baby' is written with a panda print and pink and white polka-dotted pajama pants.

"Baby pj's for the baby," Ryan teased me and I backhanded him lightly which earned a roar of laughter from others. Next was Miss Wilson gave me a solid black georgette fit and flare dress. After that it was Mia's turn, she handed me two boxes, I decided the open the first box which was slightly heavier and bigger than the other one.  I unwrapped it and saw that it's a light pink Wooden desk makeup organizer and some makeup was already stocked there. Then I proceeded to the other one and saw that it was letter print cami and frill trim shorts PJ set.